INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: installing JR media center on windows 8.1 Tablet  (Read 3511 times)

gshaver

• Recent member
installing JR media center on windows 8.1 Tablet
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »

good afternoon, I am attempting to install JR media center 19 on my windows 8.1, 32 bit tablet, a dell venue pro 11.  I have downloaded the software but when I try to install from the download it appears to only pull part of the download and will not let me get to the actual install screen. any suggestions as to how to get it to install?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: installing JR media center on windows 8.1 Tablet
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 02:13:55 pm »

Can you describe in further detail on what you mean by "only pull part of the download"?  Do you get an error message when you try to run the installer, or does the installer download never complete?

Download the version from here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88012.0

That is currently the most recent version.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gshaver

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:57:33 am »

I downloaded and when I clicked run it started the process of extracting to do the run but only pulled 32% then just continued to show only that amount, did not finish and allow me to install.
iHave a dell venue 11 pro, atom processor with 2gig 3ddr ram and 64 gig solid state drive.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:17:39 am »

That's not good.  Sounds like you might have memory problems in that thing.  All it is doing at that phase is unzipping the installer.

If the Venue came with built-in "trialware" Security Software (such as McAfee or something), try disabling it, and if that doesn't help, completely uninstalling it.  That's my only other guess at anything "software-conflict" like that could cause such a thing.  Sometimes disabling these AV applications isn't enough.  If you got a bundled free trial with your device, that's no big deal.  If you want it, just re-download the trial from the vendor of the software, and you can re-install it when you are done.

However, Windows now comes with both a built-in Firewall and a good AV solution, called Windows Defender.  Windows Defender is well-behaved (it wouldn't cause these kinds of problems at all), built-in, from Microsoft (so well supported), and free.  You probably don't need whatever cruddy pack-in software they provided.

Here are Hashes for the most recent public build of the MC installer (19.0.121):

CRC32: 85540E58
MD5: 5017E1344A7EEAC47794BE76A644938A
SHA-1: 80D403B99AA68C62DE5C78C70B01C747C4A29A55

If you know how to check the file hashes of the installer, you can verify that these match.  If they don't then something is corrupting it during download or when loaded into RAM.

If removing the AV software doesn't work (or if you're currently using only Windows Defender), I'd try these three items:

1. Download Memtest86+ (the USB Key creator version) and make a USB key.  If at all possible, make this USB key using another computer (if the RAM is bad in that device and causing corruption, then it could corrupt Memtest86+ when you try to make the USB key).

Boot to the USB key after you make it, and run through a full scan of your RAM.  You may need to look up how to do this with your Venue, since it won't have a "normal" BIOS procedure.  I'm sure there are instructions somewhere on Dell's website.

If the RAM fails, RMA the device with Dell.

2. Check the disk on the device for trouble.  It is a flash-based "drive" so you shouldn't need to worry about the disk physically failing (assuming you didn't get a broken controller or NAND chips or something), but the drive could have filesystem corruption.

More info:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks

In particular, run both the chkdsk and sfc /scannow tools described on that page.  Don't do this until after you've checked your RAM, though, as if your RAM is corrupting data, this will show as a variety of errors in the disk checks (and trying to "fix" them with bad RAM will just make it worse).

3. Update your Network drivers.  If the RAM and Disk both check out okay, but the Hash verification above on the installer fails, then it is possible that your download is being corrupted while it is downloading.  In this case, the drivers for your network interface (probably WiFi on that thing) could be to blame.

Check Dell's Support Site and make sure you have the latest drivers for your network interface(s).  Sometimes on devices like those, the WiFi drivers will be combined with the Bluetooth drivers (though if they're separate, BlueTooth shouldn't be relevant).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:21 am »

I should also mention... You're not REALLY out of disk space on that thing, are you?

It could be hanging like that when trying to unzip if it runs out of space.  I don't know, and you'd have to be very close to the "edge" for it to become a problem, but it is worth mentioning.  Since that's got a quite small amount of storage (especially once you include Windows, all the pack-in crap Dell gives you, and the recovery partition), you could be max-ed out and not realize it.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:59:23 pm »

FWIW, I had no issues at all installing MC on a tablet very similar to yours, a Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx K3011 running Windows 8, then 8.1.
Intel Atom Z2760 processor with 2gig ram and 64 gig solid state drive.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up