INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI Audio Input into JRiver for Decoding  (Read 6459 times)

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
HDMI Audio Input into JRiver for Decoding
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:59 am »

Is it even possible to buy some type of HDMI input card, and then run an external source such as the HDMI audio output of a Blu Ray player into the PC, and have JRiver doing the decoding and then send it out of JRiver audio output?

This would allow me to use my Blu Ray player to run full 3D to the TV (video only) and then the second HDMI output of that unit to the HDMI input of the JRiver machine.  Then have JRiver decode the DTS-MA or True-HD signals and send them out the JRiver audio output.

Has anyone come up with a solution for such a setup yet?
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDMI Audio Input into JRiver for Decoding
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:17:43 pm »

HDCP compliant HDMI inputs are VERY expensive to licence IIRC, but there are some available now. Not sure if MC can recognise them, though. That WOULD be cool.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:19:03 am »

If your goal is to have DTS-MA soundtrack, can't your bluray player decode these tracks to PCM?

dean70

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:29:19 am »

Dont some Asrock boards have HDMI Inputs? Not sure if it is only pass-through.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:40:38 am »

If your goal is to have DTS-MA soundtrack, can't your bluray player decode these tracks to PCM?

It sure can, but it's still required to send the audio out HDMI since you cannot output 8+ channels out anything except HDMI.  Unless you have some sort of modded player that offers 4+ SPDIF outputs.  Then I would be forced to find a solution that offers multiple SPDIF inputs (2 channels per connection).

So I still need something to process all the data from all those channels (my DAC has asynchronous USB input, not HDMI or multiple SPDIF so I need the computer to process all those channels and send it to the USB output in JRiver).
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:14:13 am »

HDCP compliant HDMI inputs are VERY expensive to licence IIRC, but there are some available now. Not sure if MC can recognise them, though. That WOULD be cool.

Right.  This could certainly work, if it wasn't for the darn DRM.  Sync would be a pain, but that's irrelevant to even discuss because it isn't possible.

Here are some devices that provide HDMI inputs:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html

MC can use the Colossus (I've actually never tried with my two Intensities), but that kind of setup would require the HDMI input to be HDCP compliant, and no HDMI-input into a general purpose PC (especially not one that allows you to record) can be HDCP-compliant.  That violates not only the spec of HDCP, but the "spirit" (such as it were) itself.  The fact that it costs a bazillion dollars is also irrelevant, as they'd never approve this license.

DRM sucks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:18:22 am »

There are now some fairly cheap HDMI splitters which have a (presumably) unintended effect of stripping HDCP from the signal…

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:29 am »

There are now some fairly cheap HDMI splitters which have a (presumably) unintended effect of stripping HDCP from the signal…

True.

I've never tried one, but there are ways to strip HDCP out via hardware.  If you stripped it out via one of these devices, then something like the Colossus might work.  MC can tune to it like a TV tuner, and play what it receives.  You'd have to ignore the video itself, but you might be able to send it to "nowhere" using Zone switching if you're clever.

The main problems would be:

1. Cost (the Colossus isn't cheap, and then you'd need the HDCP stripper too).
2. Reliability (that sounds like asking for trouble)
3. Sync (though MC might be able to compensate for this with the A/V Sync correction feature).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

guido310

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:01:21 am »

I am very interested in topic, since i have a blackmagic design Declink extreme 3d HDMI capture card and i would like to use JRiver audio features to monitor my 5.1 recording from camera

JRiver see tha card only as analog TV input card and don't let me see nothing when i open play from TV

I think JRiver should see the card as a video capture card not just Tv tuner to accomplish video capture

Nor Blackmagic's software recognize JRiver as ASIO and let capture audio only from its own card

Is there a way to see video trough JRiver, at least only audio (some WDM plugin???)

architect7

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:12:07 pm »

Digging up an old topic but this is something I am attempting to try very soon.  I have a splitter on the way which will send a non-HDCP HDMI signal to a capture card which I will attempt to bring into JRiver for audio decoding and Dirac room correction.  Has anyone else had luck with this type of configuration?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 04:46:33 pm »

Is it even possible to buy some type of HDMI input card, and then run an external source such as the HDMI audio output of a Blu Ray player into the PC, and have JRiver doing the decoding and then send it out of JRiver audio output?

This would allow me to use my Blu Ray player to run full 3D to the TV (video only) and then the second HDMI output of that unit to the HDMI input of the JRiver machine.  Then have JRiver decode the DTS-MA or True-HD signals and send them out the JRiver audio output.

Has anyone come up with a solution for such a setup yet?

If the objective is playback and HiFi audio, disregarding cost, why can't you deal with this via hardware?

The amp I've got sucks in HDMI audio + video and passes out HDMI video (3D if I want it to but don't bother). It's not suited to surround sound but that's not what I was after (minimalist is my philosophy). If multi channel audio + video was my intent, I would have gone for a HiFi standard A/V Receiver. Not sure what else is out there but NAD have some offerings, e.g. T 187, that I'd expect would address your needs. You can do the research. I don't intend to act as a salesman. The only thing is that this path would cut MC out of the process.

The other option is to rip the media you've got, load it into MC and then output it to a suitable piece of HiFi standard A/V receiving hardware to do the signal splitting and process the audio (DAC + Amp). Refer previous paragraph for guidance.

Stripping off the HDCP makes sense if you're recording but you don't need to, do you? Why not rip the BD to MC and avoid all the messing about?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

architect7

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 04:50:49 pm »

If the objective is playback and HiFi audio, disregarding cost, why can't you deal with this via hardware?

The amp I've got sucks in HDMI audio + video and passes out HDMI video (3D if I want it to but don't bother). It's not suited to surround sound but that's not what I was after (minimalist is my philosophy). If multi channel audio + video was my intent, I would have gone for a HiFi standard A/V Receiver. Not sure what else is out there but NAD have some offerings, e.g. T 187, that I'd expect would address your needs. You can do the research. I don't intend to act as a salesman. The only thing is that this path would cut MC out of the process.

The other option is to rip the media you've got, load it into MC and then output it to a suitable piece of HiFi standard A/V receiving hardware to do the signal splitting and process the audio (DAC + Amp). Refer previous paragraph for guidance.

Stripping off the HDCP makes sense if you're recording but you don't need to, do you? Why not rip the BD to MC and avoid all the messing about?

I know you weren't replying to me but for me, my reasoning is to have JRiver+Dirac decode audio from my cable box as well as my Xbox One.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:57:05 am »

There are a lot of gamers out there who want to capture action from their PS3 or Xbox. Internet searching gave me a number of leads, so you should do OK. I would expect that gamers aren't that worried about HiFi audio. At least if you buy some hardware to experiment, it looks like it won't cost too much.

Hope you sort out what you need..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 07:42:56 pm »

It sure can, but it's still required to send the audio out HDMI since you cannot output 8+ channels out anything except HDMI. 

Not true I know there is at least 1 BD player that can output 8 (7.1) channels using analog outputs.
Samsung BD-F7500/ZA
Sean

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »

Not true I know there is at least 1 BD player that can output 8 (7.1) channels using analog outputs.
Samsung BD-F7500/ZA
So can the Oppo players.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up