INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delete - Something went wrong [Solved]  (Read 1046 times)

stiv32

• World Citizen
Delete - Something went wrong [Solved]
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:07:04 pm »

I tried to delete some files from a smartlist by right-clicking and choosing to delete the files to recycle bin. The files were deleted to recycle bin, but the entries from MC are still there. Only the entry Filename (name) is blank. All the others i.e. Name, Bitrate etc. are there. If I double click the file it takes me to some other song.

When I try to shift-delete the files nothing happens. I also tried the Import function, hoping that MC will delete the entries that don't correspond to file, but they are still there....

Is there something I can do?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Delete - Something went wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »

Some folks have reported this, that deleted files remain in the main database, yet the Filename field goes blank.  It might be worth doing a Library Backup and saving that backup file in case someone at JRiver can take a look.  I don't think JRiver has been able to reproduce it, or get a handle on exactly what causes this.  Also, if you had logging enabled, save the log files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

stiv32

• World Citizen
Re: Delete - Something went wrong
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:51:12 am »

I solved it.

I have to installations of MC. One in my PC and a portable one.

I needed to edit from my PC the database I had at the portable drive. (I needed to do this because there was a bug at the portable version. I can't remember right now what it was).

So I backed up my library from the portable drive and loaded it from my pc.

The problem is that when we keep files at the same drive, that we have installed MC, their path appears in the library as "(Install Drive):/" .

When I deleted some of those files, MC erased the filepath, but didn't erase all the other information (i.e. Name, Bitrate, Bit Depth ...). Even when I tried "Import" where I hoped it will fix the broken links, it didn't. It just reimported the files, as (Install Drive):/ . As a result my database was growing as I was trying to delete files.

The work around was to change the (Install Drive):/ to the specific portable drive letter. (pick songs->right click -> move, copy... ->Update Database to point to new location -> Find and Replace -> c: to x:). We need to be careful when writing the drives at "Find and Replace". MC won't recognize (Install Drive):/ as a drive letter. We need to place there the name of the drive where the MC we use at THAT moment is installed.

I guess that (Install Drive):/ was introduced to help people with portable installations. I find more convenient another way. That is, before installing MC I chose a rare letter for my drive (X:/) and every time I mount that portable drive to a new pc, I assign again that letter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up