INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 19 in Windows Server Essential 2012  (Read 4927 times)

jcg74

• Recent member
Media Center 19 in Windows Server Essential 2012
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:30:25 am »

Hi Everybody,

is it possible to install Media center 19 as a service on Windows Server Essential 2012 and 2012 R2 ? so it can be used remotely by Gizmo and other
without being logged on the server
thanks
JC

sirkus

• World Citizen
Re: Media Center 19 in Windows Server Essential 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:53:40 pm »

I would say it works, but it's not perfect. I use it (2012, not R2) as a library server for client players and as an (audio) player.
I have to kill the application (not the service) from time to time. I guess, it works better if you don't launch the graphical interface (in my case through Remote Desktop).
I have installed Microsoft Server Converter tools to add missing features avaible in classic Windows.

AudibleSounds

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:15 am »

I would say it works, but it's not perfect. I use it (2012, not R2) as a library server for client players and as an (audio) player.
I have to kill the application (not the service) from time to time. I guess, it works better if you don't launch the graphical interface (in my case through Remote Desktop).
I have installed Microsoft Server Converter tools to add missing features avaible in classic Windows.

Interesting, as I don't have any issues using 2012.  Although I have only installed JRiver MC on it, it hosts all my audio and video files.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:18:12 pm »

I run MC on a Server 2012, Standard edition however, and not Essential, and I'm not sure how they differ. I don't have any problems with it.
The important thing to note is to install the "Desktop Experience" feature, which may not be active by default on the Server OS.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

raldo

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:32:02 am »

I run 19 on a server essentials 2012 box. Not as a service, though. I need to logon the user and start the GUI version.

No problems for me using this config.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:10:39 pm »

Good to know. I will try a little more. Maybe it's my audio driver the problem.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »

I don't think the audio driver is an issue if you are just serving library requests; I have MC running fine here on a server machine without any audio adapter at all.

If you are playing back to some output then that's a different thing, I guess.

dean70

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 07:19:00 pm »

I have successfully got MC running on Server Essentials 2012 R2 with TV tuner, IR Remote and video capabilities. Had to install BDA components from a Win7 machine to be able to talk to the TV tuner card & now is working well.

Running a custom shell I wrote with hot-keys to switch between Core and GUI mode, which boots straight into MC. Use GUI mode for movie watching and switch across to Core mode for pure audio listening which is controllable via Gizmo.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up