INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD ISO Audio Track selection  (Read 1850 times)

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
DVD ISO Audio Track selection
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »

What determines the audio setting for playing DVD ISO? For example, is the DTS track played or the DD AC3? I notice that JRiver send multichannel LPCM and not the DTS or DD bitstream.  Where are the settings that control this?

Rgds

S

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: DVD ISO Audio Track selection
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 04:29:10 pm »

23 views but no ideas?

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:56:29 pm »

If you right-click, it will be listed under the Languages menu with DVDs. (Streams with Blu-ray)
You can also hit the up/down keys on your keyboard/remote to access this via the OSD.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »

What determines the audio setting for playing DVD ISO? For example, is the DTS track played or the DD AC3? I notice that JRiver send multichannel LPCM and not the DTS or DD bitstream.  Where are the settings that control this?

You can search the forum, as I know Matt has discussed this logic here before.  But, basically, it tries to "do the right thing".  I'm going by memory here, but it is essentially something like:

1. It prefers, above all else, tracks explicitly marked on the disc/file with the language selected at Tools > Options > Video > Subtitles & Language > Default audio language.
2. If none of them are tagged with the proper language tags, or if none of them match your language, then it selects the one set to default by the disc author.
3. From the options remaining (if there is more than one track of the same language), it prefers:  DTS-MA > Dolby TrueHD > DTS > Dolby Digital > Other

I'm not 100% about that last part (there might be logic about the number of channels in there too), but it is something like that.  I remember that DTS-MA was preferred over things like 5.1 AC3, which were preferred over two channel versions.  The logic makes sense, and is probably a reasonable default.

As 6233638 points out, you can easily override this default and pick from any available audio track.

One thing about this that might not be immediately obvious, is that MC remembers this setting on a per-file basis (as long as the files are imported).  So, if you set it once to Estonian 2-channel AAC, instead of English 5.1, or whatever, then it'll remember that for that file, from then on.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:39:41 pm »

Thanks.  MC isn't sending the DTS (or DD AC3 as the case may be) signal but rather is decoding the bitstream to multichannel LPCM. Is there a way to simply send the DTS bitstream?

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 01:40:40 pm »

If you right-click, it will be listed under the Languages menu with DVDs. (Streams with Blu-ray)
You can also hit the up/down keys on your keyboard/remote to access this via the OSD.

I do not have a keyboard.  It's a headless system. Control of playback is purely via JRemote.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:13:20 pm »

I do not have a keyboard.  It's a headless system. Control of playback is purely via JRemote.
JRemote's "remote" function will also work if you swipe up/down/left/right when playing.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 08:31:42 am »

Thanks.  Great tip!

Now, anyone know the answer re DTS/DD AC3 bitstream versus multichannel LPCM?
Pages: [1]   Go Up