INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crackling noise in Test Tone in DSP Settings  (Read 2471 times)

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
Crackling noise in Test Tone in DSP Settings
« on: March 30, 2014, 01:07:37 pm »

I am trying to calibrate my new 7.1 system with the DSP settings, using the test tone and it has a loud crackling within the noise tone generator.  I do not hear any crackling when playing music or movies, only during the test.

The only things I am adding is a 10DB volume raise on the master output and a channel order.  Even if I disable these two features it does it.

Using Dirac Live output to exasound e28.  I do not remember having this issue when I was using my 5.2 setup for so long.  I simply added to rear speakers, copied my 5.2 zone and modified it for the additional 2 speakers (channel order).

Even if I test my 5.2 setup which has always worked it crackles when doing test tones now.  I am on version 19.0.117.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Crackling noise in Test Tone in DSP Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:32:23 pm »

It's almost as if it's some type of distortion because when I raise the gain in JRiver it gets worse, but if I turn JRiver gain down, and then crank up the DAC volume control it's not there.
16GB RAM

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:47:45 pm »

It's almost as if it's some type of distortion because when I raise the gain in JRiver it gets worse, but if I turn JRiver gain down, and then crank up the DAC volume control it's not there.

It sounds like you're driving JRiver's output into clipping. How are you adding the 10dB of boost to the master output? In PEQ?  Or somewhere else?  How are you offsetting the 10dB of boost on the master output? Most digital audio is mastered to peak at 0dBFS.  That means if you add 10 dB of boost to all channels without offsetting it somewhere you're almost guaranteed to get clipping.  

But JRiver normally deals with clipping by turning down the volume temporarily so it doesn't clip (that's what clip protection does).  If clip protection doesn't apply to the test tones for some reason that may be why you don't hear it with program material (because JRiver is quietly turning it down when it would otherwise clip).  

Regardless, I'd suggest checking that you haven't disabled clip protection, and then make sure that you haven't added any boost without offsetting it.

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:35:47 pm »

It looks like I really was clipping.  I just noticed the peaking percentage which is directly underneath the clipping protection enabled.

Sounds like I need to turn up the gains on my speakers and DAC's and reduce the gains I have in JRiver to balance out the whole system.

Thanks
16GB RAM

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:59:30 am »

I still think the idea that the DSP button (the one that turns blue if you output bit perfect) should blink red when clipping or when clipping prevention happens. So I'm just in here nagging about me wanting it  ;D  It would make it obvious for all users if accidentally ending up in that situation. Everyone understands the meaning of a red thing blinking in sync with sound peaks. And then to get to the bottom of why it's blinking..... you should actually click on it. Perfect IMHO  ;D

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:36:50 am »

I agree some type of a more obvious "your clipping" system would be great ;D.
16GB RAM
Pages: [1]   Go Up