INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing issue- Some files being read as "unassigned"  (Read 4512 times)

mindblanking

• Junior Woodchuck
Importing issue- Some files being read as "unassigned"
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:11:13 am »

I've been able to import everything from my hard drive into JRiver but have had a couple of issues...

1) Four albums or so have been relegated to unassigned and I can't seem to  figure out why or how to get them into their own "folder" with cover art etc... One is Beck Sea Change which is a ripped copy of the MFSL.  Also, Pyromania which is a ripped copy of the DCC...  Two others are Travelling Wilburys Vol 3, which is a ripped copy of the japan import and also Blind Faith which is a 192/24 from e-Onkyo...  What's weird is that some of my DCC, or other gold rips imported into JRiver with no problem so can't figure out why there's an issue with this.  Same is true for japan imports and other hi rez... Anyone know how I can get these into their own folders?

2)  Some stuff imported into the same "folder".  For instance I have a redbook rip of Joni Mitchell "Court and Spark" and a hi res version.  They both ended up in the same folder.  How can I separate them?   Thanks so much!

mindblanking

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Importing issue- Some files being read as "unassigned"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »

So is it just highlighting the track- library tools and update tags?  I noticed that all the ones that are not going into folders are listed as "unknown album"  so if I add album title it should automatically migrate... yes?  Thanks!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:39:09 pm »

Probably best not to call them "folders".  You are referring to Categories.  These are the groupings MC is showing you, based on how the view is defined.

So, select the files for a given unknown album, open the Tag Action Window, and enter a value in the Album field.  F5 will refresh the view if necessary to re-group the files into their new category.  There are other ways to tag, but for now, this should get you going.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mindblanking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:21:51 am »

Thanks for the help!  It worked like a charm... 

juddcbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:11:11 pm »

?  Why when I import all my music do I get 90 hours worth of Unassigned music?  These are not music I created in Mordor, they are many and obvious albums that should be easily recognizable.  For example all of the Grateful Dead studio albums?  Bob Dylan?

I have deleted everything and started over twice.  What might I be missing?

Thanks,  jb

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 02:24:55 pm »

They may not be well tagged.  Unassigned just means there is no data in the tag.

juddcbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:21:44 pm »

If they are tagged when imported into iTunes, should I expect them to be tagged in JRiver?  Thanks.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 06:55:15 pm »

If they are tagged when imported into iTunes, should I expect them to be tagged in JRiver?  Thanks.

What file format?  WAV? AIFF? ALAC?

The files might not have any tags in them if iTunes didn't write the information to the files .  iTunes may have had the equivalent information in its database but didn't write that information to the files.

You can see what tag information is in the files in the tag window.  Click on the first line below the word Tag and MC will display a list of the tags actually present in the file.

If there are no tags in your files, MC may be able to extract similar information from the folder of file names.

You need to provide more information to get help.

juddcbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 06:53:32 am »

OK, I'm going to do this the long way, as I want JRiver to work.

Let's say I start with a three disc set.  The three discs represent one show, so I want it to play without interruption.  I also want it to show up as one show, not three sides of one show.

Please, what is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks,  jb

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:49:25 am »

Audio or Video?

There is a tag called "Disk #".

You might answer MrC's questions about what you are tagging.

juddcbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:58:16 am »

OK.  I have hundreds of audio CDs, most of which consist of three or four discs.  These discs represent one show.

I want to import all of them as FLACs.  I want JRiver to understand that there are 3 or more discs, and want it to number the tracks accordingly (often 1-20+ tracks).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 09:24:25 am »

The usual way to do this, I believe, would be to number the tracks for each disk (1-x), and use the disk # tag (1,2,3,...) to order them. 

You could just rip a set to try it out.

juddcbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 09:27:31 am »

Thanks Jim.  I have gotten it to work that way.  Guess I was hoping for an easier way, just in case it existed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:31:45 am »

OK.  I have hundreds of audio CDs, most of which consist of three or four discs.  These discs represent one show.

I want to import all of them as FLACs.  I want JRiver to understand that there are 3 or more discs, and want it to number the tracks accordingly (often 1-20+ tracks).

It can do all of this.

There are built-in [Track #] and [Disc #] fields, of course.  If the files are properly tagged (this information has been embedded in the FLAC files by the application that created them, or by an application that can modify the tags in the files like MC can) this will happen automatically when the files are imported.  This assumes the files are already ripped from disc and you're importing them from another application.  If you're ripping inside MC, then just make sure the information is right there before you rip them, as Jim suggested.

If the files are incorrectly tagged, but contain tags, then MC will import them with whatever the tags say.  But, you can overwite these with whatever information you want.  Either manually or...

If the files contain no tags at all (as might happen if you intentionally disabled tagging in your other application, or used an application to manage them that doesn't do tagging on FLAC files), MC will import them with no information at all.  This would be odd, because whatever application you used to create the FLAC files could certainly have added tags at that time, so there should be at least something in there from when they were first ripped.  Unless you intentionally removed them...?

But, in any case, if you have files that have a good filename/folder structure that contains the information you need, you can use the Fill Properties from Filename tool to quickly fix the offending files and import the metadata "trapped" in the filenames in a very flexible manner.  Please refer to this thread for further detail, and ask if you have questions:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.msg531763#msg531763
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 09:34:51 am »

One other tip.  If you can put the files in a particular order in a view (however you want, even via drag-drop if you add them to a playlist), you can select them and right-click > Library Tools > Fill Track Numbers from List Order, and the [Track #] tag for those files will be replaced with a sequential count from 1-n for whatever files are selected in the view.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up