INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 VBR Encoding Quality  (Read 1051 times)

markctpr

MP3 VBR Encoding Quality
« on: February 18, 2002, 03:29:58 pm »

If I set both MJ8 MP3-VBR settings to "High Quality", will I get the best possible VBR quality?  Or, will I get better quality using custom command line options?

MJC

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:MP3 VBR Encoding Quality
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2002, 03:39:25 pm »

My opinion:  Always use the command-line options if you know what you are doing and what you want...that way, you know exactly what you will get.  If you are a novice, stick with the simple quality settings.

markctpr

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2002, 05:12:43 pm »

Thanks for the reply..   I'll probably leave things well enough alone but I'm interested to see what kind of tweaks can be made.

RAVMAN

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2002, 05:16:33 pm »

I haven't ripped/encoded any CDs in a while. I have always used the external encoder with LAME and --r3mix settings. I decided to copy one of my REM CDs and used the built in encoder of MJ8 (beta 207) under Normal quality and added the --r3mix to the custom command line option. I also had rip and encode simultaneuously checked which as I remember took forever, but to my amazement the mp3s were created very quickly. In fact, I thought that I had ended up with just wave files, but nope I am currently playing the VBR MP3 files right now. The sound great and have an average bit rate around 190 or so. Goodbye external encoder.

BTW- Is the built in MP3 VBR based on LAME and will the --r3mix setting make any difference here. If you use the command line options, does the other settings have any effect?

Great job with MJ8!

RAVMAN
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.207

CPU: AMD Athlon 951 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 373 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.000

markctpr

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2002, 05:27:09 pm »

Before I start messing with the command line options myself, I'd love to know which quality and VBR options MJ8 passes to the encoder when the user selects both of the "High Quality" options.  I think it is fair to assume that MJ is using some combination of the following parameters:

-q 0  (internal algorithm quality)
-v    (enable VBR)
--vbr [old or new?] (algorithm select)
-V
  •  (VBR quality)
    -b
  •  (minimum bit rate)
    -B
  •  (maximum bit rate)

But, all I can tell from the encoder option dialogs is that MJ is passing -q 0.  Any additional information about MJ's use of the above options would be much appreciated though.

MJC

Smiler

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2002, 02:16:28 am »

If you visit this page you can read about command line options and investigate futher.
http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/doc/html/index.html
%IN %OUT -b 192 -mj -V 3 -B 320
These are the option I use feel free to copy and paste into  your command line.
Hope this helps
Smiler

markctpr

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2002, 09:28:36 am »

Thanks..  That is exactly what I did.  However, before I start messing playing around, I'd love to know what the wizards (they are wizards--the program rocks) that make MJ are sending to the encoder.  If they are already instructing the LAME encoder to produce the highest quality possible (-q 0 --vbr-new -V 0 -b 160 -B 320) then I don't need to start changing the options myself.

MJC
Pages: [1]   Go Up