INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI EDID Handshake Hardware  (Read 4002 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
HDMI EDID Handshake Hardware
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:06 am »

This is a caring, sharing thread. Further to these threads that include coverage of HDMI EDID issues:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82351.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86974.0
I've recently realised that my TV is dominating the signal that's passed through my DAC/Amp so that it's limiting the audio sample rate to 48kHz. From a search of the interweb, I came across this wee beastie:
http://www.hdfury.com/shop/otherhdfuryhardware/splitter-4k/

You can read the promo yourself but in short it offers an HDMI signal splitter with a configurable EDID handshake function akin to it's brother:
http://www.hdfury.com/shop/otherhdfuryhardware/dr-hdmi/
I went for the splitter as it effectively includes (claimed anyway) the functionality of the EDID emulator.

One of the upsides is that the firmware is upgradeable via USB. I've seen posts where the geek brigade have mod'ed the FW, so that may offer benefits.

Another upside is that the $s on the unit appear to be a significant percentage cheaper than other units out there and with this HD Fury crowd throwing in "free" shipping, it made even better economic sense. The unit is powered by HDMI only, distinguishing it from some other units I've sussed out that require a DC supply during configuration.

When I get it hooked up, I'll report back. Hopefully, I'll get a satisfactory return on investment.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: HDMI EDID Handshake Hardware
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:54:07 am »

Let us know how it goes and what exactly have the geek brigade done (eg HDCP stripper?)
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:20:57 am »

Usually its the AV Receivers job to shield itself from the audio formats the TV supports. Are you certain there isn't an option that you missed for something like Audio Passthrough, which causes the TV capabilities to be relevant?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:49:39 am »

Usually its the AV Receivers job to shield itself from the audio formats the TV supports. Are you certain there isn't an option that you missed for something like Audio Passthrough, which causes the TV capabilities to be relevant?

Thanks for the reminder. Always welcome. The HDMI module documentation is a datasheet and that's it:
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-mdc-modules/DD-HDM-1-HDMI-Module
The amp's manual pays it very little attention. Putting on my explorer's hat and poking around the settings shows to me that the manual isn't hiding anything and I'm limited to either enable or disable the 3 HDMI inputs.

I've tried a simple connection plan with different ports and it doesn't help.

If I connect to a simple monitor and let time pass for handshaking, the HDMI config options expands right out to the full bit depth / sample rate spec. For the sake of a bit of hardware, I'm keen to not have to muck around.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:44:54 pm »

The Fury turned up yesterday. Plugged in fine.

Just got the chance to play with the EDID side of things. Using the OEM software I interrogated the Sony TV EDID info and saved that to one side for safe keeping if required. As mentioned above the Sony appears to dominate the sample rate across the system and I can't easily figure out a way of getting it to relinquish control.

So, I disconnected the Sony from all sources and hooked up a simple Asus monitor with sound capability that together with the NAD C390DD DAC/Amp shows up the full gamut of sample rates through its DD HDM-1 HDMI Module (see first pic).

Using the EDID software I grabbed the associated signature. Then I plugged the Sony back in and uploaded the Asus signature. Finished things off with a reboot just to make sure all's well.

The only thing that I had to do to make sure that audio would play through the TV was to set it to a bit depth and sample rate that it can handle (see 2nd pic). With the Exclusive Mode options checked, MC is all set to take control.

Have tested this with some 96kHz and 192kHz audio and the DAC/Amp display switches in sync with MC and audio plays through just fine. The fact that the audio at those rates can't play through the TV is not an issue. Happy now.

I'll test turning off the HDMI switch in Audio Options and see if audio plays uninterrupted if the the display times out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up