INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering down  (Read 1200 times)

designmule

• World Citizen
Powering down
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:13:30 pm »

Currently, I am running jriver 19 on a headless win 7 PC which is connected to my DAC via a USB to SPDIF converter. I like to leave my PC running 24/7 so that it can back up to Carbonite. I like to shut my stereo down at night to save energy and to keep my room from being illuminated by all the little LEDs. Shutting down the stereo includes shitting down the USB to SPDIF converter.

If I do this and turn on the stereo the next day jriver seems to not reconnect to the USB to SPDIF converter. I have to login to the PC remotely and reselect the converter from the audio output options.

Is there any way to avoid this short of leaving the ISB to SPDIF converter powered?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Matt

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Powering down
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »

Currently, I am running jriver 19 on a headless win 7 PC which is connected to my DAC via a USB to SPDIF converter. I like to leave my PC running 24/7 so that it can back up to Carbonite. I like to shut my stereo down at night to save energy and to keep my room from being illuminated by all the little LEDs. Shutting down the stereo includes shitting down the USB to SPDIF converter.

If I do this and turn on the stereo the next day jriver seems to not reconnect to the USB to SPDIF converter. I have to login to the PC remotely and reselect the converter from the audio output options.

Is there any way to avoid this short of leaving the ISB to SPDIF converter powered?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Matt

Sometimes it's unfortunate that "U" and "I" are so close together on the keyboard.

Anyway, what I don't get here is that if the PC remains on, how does the USB/SPDIF converter lose power?

My other thought is whether it would be possible to automate a script (somehow?) so that when the DAC is powered (by some trigger?) then the configuration for it is changed to suit.

Hard for me to comment further because I don't know enough about what's technically doable and the hardware info is limited.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 07:26:02 am »

Thanks for your response. My USB to SPDIF converter (a Firestone Audio Bravo) is not powered by USB it has it's own power supply which is plugged in to the same power conditioner as the rest of the stereo.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:49 am »

Thanks for your response. My USB to SPDIF converter (a Firestone Audio Bravo) is not powered by USB it has it's own power supply which is plugged in to the same power conditioner as the rest of the stereo.

Plug it in somewhere else.

Problem solved.

If your audio device disconnects while MC is running, it will lose the device.  You can't do that.  So your choices are to stop disconnecting it while MC is running, or to shut down MC before you're going to do that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:25:55 am »

Ok, thanks for the response. I just wanted to see if there was an option in JRiver I am missing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up