INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change Meta-data?  (Read 2348 times)

BigPebble

Change Meta-data?
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:11 am »

I recently finished ripping all of my CD's to FLAC on a NAS.  As part of the process I combined multi CD albums and boxsets into one folder by renumbering the filenames to sequence them in CD order.  The only issue I have is when I pull the tracks into my iPad it looks at the meta-data instead of the filenames to get the sequencing.

Is there a way using Library Tools or something else to change the track sequence to match my naming scheme?

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Change Meta-data?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:59:36 am »

If you go to 'Library Tools --> Fill Properties From Filename' you can populate the meta-data accordingly.

Look at this Wiki page regarding it http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:26:57 am »

In case of box sets, try Disk #
Most media players sort by Disk / Track

BigPebble

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:02 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts, but what I'm trying to do is get the filename to become the meta-data for each song so that when I pull to my iPad it sorts properly there.  Since the iPad only reads the meta-data not the filename I'm trying to get that changed.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think tags are the same as embedded meta-data and it appears that's all the Library Tool can update.

Anybody know of a tool that can read a filename and then write it to the meta-data of the file?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 12:23:52 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think tags are the same as embedded meta-data

You are wrong.

Anybody know of a tool that can read a filename and then write it to the meta-data of the file?

Yes.  Media Center.  With the Fill Properties from Filename tool.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BigPebble

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:11:44 am »

Thanks for your direct comment  :o

I had already tried using the Library to fill the file properties and verified that the file properties had been changed.  However, when I pulled the file onto my iPad the original sequence had been restored.  Is there anyway to get the iPad to see my preferred sequence?

connersw

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:48:03 am »

Make sure you are saving the changes to the Tags in the Files themselves, and not just in the Library.

Do you have Tools → Options → General → Importing & Tagging → Update tags when file info changes enabled?
Also check Tools → Options → Library & Folders → Manage Library Fields → Track # (and Disc #) → Save in file tags (when possible)

If your Options were not set to write to Tags, after you change the Options to do so, you can update your File Tags by selecting all effected files and right click -> Library Tools -> Update Tags (from library).

Vincent Kars

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

Bit of a mystery.
What I recommend:
Select 1 track
Choose Tag, this opens the tag panel and click on the file name at the top.
This gives you a list of the tags as they are inside the file so “hard coded”.

Don’t know what file format you are sending to the iPad, probably not FLAC?
Anyway, check if there is a tag TRACKNUMBER (FLAC) or TRCK (MP3), etc.

Screenshots can be found here http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC14_Edit.htm

It here is such tag (likewise CDNUMBER) at least it is clear that JRiver populates them properly.

If this is the case, you might do the reverse.
On the iPad, fill in tracknumber, cdnumber, etc en transfer back to JRiver.
Maybe the iPad (the media player you use there ) uses other tags.
With the same trick as mentioned above, you can inspect what has been written hard coded.

Success

BigPebble

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 10:44:15 am »

Thanks all - problem has been solved.

Looks like I had the tags right from the beginning, but iTunes pulled from another folder than what I'd expected and grabbed a prior attempt.

Once again thanks for your suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up