INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m2ts forced subtitles  (Read 5045 times)

h0mer

• Recent member
m2ts forced subtitles
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:44:09 am »

Bluray forced subtitles aren't working for me. My collection is in m2ts format. In Thor: the dark world, when they speak an alien language no subtitles or in Captain Phillips when the Somalis speak, nothing.

I'm running mc 19.0.127

Subtitle Mode is set to 'Show subtitles only if selected language is different from audio language' and everything below is set to english.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: m2ts forced subtitles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 05:55:14 pm »

Hi h0mer,

I've updated the Wiki on this http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Subtitles#Selecting_Subtitles

Unfortunately, many Blu-ray disks do not "mark" forced subtitles and hence MC is unable to automatically detect them.  On such disks, the "forced subtitles" are listed as completely separate subtitle stream and are normally towards the bottom of the list of available subtitles.  In such cases you will need to select them manually.  Once you have selected the correct subtitle stream, MC will remember this selection and use it then next time.

Hope it helps
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

capfan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:05:13 am »

Regarding Captain Phillips, I've found that a workaround to deal with the forced subtitles not showing up is to convert it to an MKV file.  There definitely seems to be an issue with playing m2ts/BDMV movies with forced subtitles when those subtitles are a flagged subset of a full subtitle track.

The comment made by jmone does not apply to Captain Phillips since there is no separate forced subtitle track on this title and I have not figured out a way to get only the forced subtitles to show up on this title when playing the title wrapped as m2ts/BDMV.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »

FYI - my version of Captain Phillips (Australian Distributor) seems to have the Forced Subtitles marked correctly (eg they display automatically without having to change any track).
JRiver CEO Elect

capfan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:51 am »

jmone,

Perhaps you could clarify how you are viewing Captain Phillips in MC.  Are you using AnyDVD as a plug-in for MC?

The method I have seen cause problems is to use MakeMKV to backup the Blu-Ray disc (not to create an MKV file) and JMC recognizes the BDMV folders and plays the movie, just without the forced subtitles.  I've also seen the same issue on Elysium.  And no settings I played around with allowed only the forced subtitles to show up.  The common thing about the forced subtitles in Captain Phillips and Elysium is that they are a flagged subset of a full subtitle track.  Other titles that have the forced subtitles as a separate track work just fine once you choose the appropriate track.

So assuming you're using AnyDVD to play the Blu-Ray disc, I'm wondering what could possibly be different about the backup produced by MakeMKV vs. AnyDVD?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:32:14 pm »

Yes I use anydvd hd.  I play either from a full BD structure on the HDD or from the Disc.  Properly flagged forced subs have always worked perfectly without any intervention.  I'm away for a week and just on my phone but I think the wiki has the config details.
JRiver CEO Elect

capfan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »

So does anybody know why a Blu-ray full-disc backup produced by AnyDVD HD would be treated any differently than supposedly the same thing produced by MakeMKV, with regard to properly recognizing forced subtitles?  They should theoretically be identical, or am I missing something?
Pages: [1]   Go Up