INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix App on Win 8.1 Question  (Read 1485 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Netflix App on Win 8.1 Question
« on: April 19, 2014, 02:53:07 pm »

I need to know from some people who use this, is the Netflix app on Win8.1 switching refresh rates based on the content it is playing?

Yesterday I started playing around with it again and I swear it was switching. The OK button on my TV shows the resolution and refresh rate, and for some movie it showed 50hz. For Breaking Bad, I saw 24hz. Default desktop is at 60hz. So, I am pretty sure it was switching. I tested specifically with certain passages because I can't stand the jutter when it doesn't match. Yesterday I was very happy to see the Win8 app does this and playback was very smooth.

Today, I wanted to go ahead and fix audio using either MC's ASIO or loopback but noticed it was no longer switching refresh rates. I tried everything I can think of, but its just not switching anymore. Now, I'm doubting it was doing this yesterday, did I halucinate or what?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Netflix App on Win 8.1 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 06:55:02 am »

I must have been halucinating. I restored a backup from a couple of weeks ago and Netflix isn't switching refresh rates. I don't understand what I have been looking at yesterday, its pretty simple: I start a movie, press OK on my TV and it shows resolution and refresh rate. And its not like 24Hz looks like 60Hz so how I can mess that up I don't know.

Anyway, I contacted Netflix support and they confirmed the app is not currently switching refresh rates based on the content its playing.

It's funny they have 25fps and 23.976fps samples in their library (search for "example" to find them) and they put so much effort into 4K streaming when the internet is full of complaints about jutter due to refresh rate mismatch. You'd think its a quick win so why don't they?

Pages: [1]   Go Up