INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track numbers vs "Sequence"  (Read 4459 times)

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Track numbers vs "Sequence"
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »

Hi -- In the past week or so, I noticed one of my albums appeared in MC 19 not in the order of the tracks I made, but in some "sequence" -- a column that appeared on the left. As far as I can tell, the sequence is arbitrary -- don't know how/why it is there. Apparently the tracks play in the order of the sequence, not in my designated track order.  :( Can someone tell me how I can re-configure things so the "sequence" column is banished and it just follows the track listing I set up? It's weird, because I've been using MC for more than 6 months now, and I never noticed this issue, with this album or any other until recently. Thanks. -- David

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Track numbers vs "Sequence"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:26 pm »

You are looking at (in) a Playlist, and all Playlists have a Seq (sequence number) column.  This is the order that the playlist is sequenced for playback.

You can re-sequence the playlist by sorting it (click some column to sort by that column) and then use Update Order at the top of the Playlist.

But you probably want to be working in, day to day, in a view such as Audio > Albums or Audio > Genre.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »

Mr. C -- Awesome, thanks --- I think you put your finger on it, for the Dylan album that I was asking about. But I have another track sequence issue -- perhaps you can figure that out as well. I ripped a double Mozart CD set. In the list (in Audio), tracks 23-42 appear first, then 1-22 (the first CD). The whole set is grouped in MC as the same "album". I can't get it to display in the logical number sequence. Any ideas? Thanks so much. -- David

MrC

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 05:07:28 pm »

Set the Album tag to exactly the same on both discs, set Disc # correctly, and then they will appear as one sequenced group.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 05:20:01 pm »

Mr. C, every track is tagged to the exact same album, and the disk #'s are now set correctly at 1 and 2. It still is putting disc 2 on top. I seem to be able to change that temporarily by clicking at the top of the "Disk #" column, and it then appears in disk 1 -2 order. But if I click to another album and come back, it reverts. ?? Thanks! -- David

MrC

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »

The default views in MC will sort on [Disc #] and then [Track #].  Which view are you using?

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:47:33 pm »

It is the "Standard View." I haven't (knowingly) tampered with any of the default view settings.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 06:51:29 pm »

Mr. C -- I just checked again -- it is now displaying correctly. Thanks, as always for your support. -- David

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:10:47 pm »

Mr. C - I spoke too soon. The displays  of all of my albums now have their track sequences scrambled, in no perceivable fashion. I am in "audio" Any idea of what has happened?

MrC

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:21:56 pm »

Which audio view, specifically?

Are you clicking on the file list headers?

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 07:47:57 pm »

I am in audio then "albums". I don't know if this relevant, but all are correctly ordered in jremote.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 07:51:38 pm »

I'd like to see the tags. 

Select the files for one of the multi-disc albums, and use File > Export Playlist.  Select:

Format: Text File (CSV delimited)
   Included Fields: All Fields
   Output Range: Selection

Save it to the Desktop, zip it, and attach it in a reply here. 

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 07:57:14 pm »

Mr C - thanks so much. Got to knock off tonite, but will send tomorrow.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 07:00:37 pm »

Mr. C -- Here's the zipped file you requested. I should say MC is acting inconsistently -- it is fine tonite, but was definitely scrambling displayed track orders last nite -- not just this file, but all. Thanks. -- David

MrC

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 07:57:38 pm »

The tags seem OK, except for disc #2 being detected as Incomplete.  This is because your Disc #2 first track is not 1.  This is minor.

The Audio > Albums view is a Categories view, so you must be looking at the track numbers in the file list when you open it.  When you see the "scrambling", in the file list, what is checked under the Sort Inside Groups By (available just above the cover art thumbnail in the File List's headers - note the little triangle pull down).  Maybe you've selected Random.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 09:02:24 pm »

Mr C-- Thanks for all your help. I will check your suggestions out --- maybe I hit random somehow. -- David
Pages: [1]   Go Up