INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Oldest Song in the World  (Read 1221 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
The Oldest Song in the World
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERitvFYpAk

Well, it's the oldest complete song that's survived to the present day anyway.  The song was engraved on a tombstone in ancient musical notation (along with lyrics in Greek).  It was part of an epitaph for a man named Seikilos (or possibly by a man named Seikilos, the inscription is unclear), probably engraved around 100AD.

The vocal melody on the youtube link is a little embellished, but the instrumental melody is the actual engraved melody and the lyrics are the engraved lyrics.  More info at the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seikilos_epitaph

Now when I look at my music by "year" in JRiver, I've got something for the year 100  8)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: The Oldest Song in the World
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 03:00:35 am »

Very cool!

Thanks for sharing.

TCube

Re: The Oldest Song in the World
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:36 am »

@ mwillems,

My true story.
A marble engraver friend of mine explained to me that inscriptions or epitaphs on a tomb should be accepted by the appropriate City Hall services (especially for foreign languages).
To his knowledge only a widow, known to be deceived for years by her late husband, managed to circumvent this requirement.
She etched a range of music and reading each note one could understand her revenge.

Rémi X - born 1936 - died 1992
Keys : "Ré - mi, mi - la - do - ré, si - fa - si - la - si - ré".

It's hard to translate in English as you give letters for keys. Sure ! few may get it  :(
TC
Pages: [1]   Go Up