INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get JRiver to recognize DLNA devices on the network faster  (Read 1372 times)

learningcurve

I use SOtM sMS-100 as DLNA render and use JRiver as the DLNA controller to play music on the renderer both from the PC (on which JRiver runs) as well as a Synology NAS.
It works quite well for all the music I play (including 192khz/24b high resolution files) and I am enjoying the experience.

One thing that is bugging me though is the fact that it takes quite a long time for JRiver (currently using version 19.0.128, but the issue has been the same on older versions) to recognize the DLNA renderer and display it as one of the players to which I can send the music.

Is there any settings or ways to get JRiver to scan network and find/recognize the DLNA renderer faster?   

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to get JRiver to recognize DLNA devices on the network faster
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:38:50 am »

When you say it take a long time, how long is that exactly? And is that from when the renderer is switched on or when MC is loaded?

No, there isn't a "do everything faster" switch! But depending on where the delay is occurring you may be able to speed things up by reversing the order in which things are switched on, or resetting the renderer, or something.  DLNA devices will send out a network notification when switched on and I think they may send out periodic "I'm alive" messages and probably MC initiates a periodic scan, but I'm not too sure of the finer points.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to get JRiver to recognize DLNA devices on the network faster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 10:21:32 am »

DLNA devices will send out a network notification when switched on and I think they may send out periodic "I'm alive" messages and probably MC initiates a periodic scan, but I'm not too sure of the finer points.

You are right on all points. UPnP devices send an Alive notification broadcast when they come online, and a ByeBye notification broadcast when they go. They also send a refresher Alive broadcast periodically whilst they remain on line. MC detects all these notifications and updates its status pretty quickly. Also when MC starts up it executes a Search request for all UPnP devices, that the respective device must respond to.

In reply to the OP, it could be that the notification broadcasts are getting lost. Are you wired or wireless? On wireless you may be losing some notification packets due to noise. Also if you have a hybrid of wired and wireless, you might have issues concerning the routing of notification packets between the wired and wireless side..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up