INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does DSD have a unique digital interface (not just DoP) ?  (Read 3552 times)

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Does DSD have a unique digital interface (not just DoP) ?
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:39 pm »

Hi
I am wondering if there is a unique or dedicated digital interface for DSD (as their exists for PCM based IE60958 aes3/spdif). How do people connect a DSD capable dac to their computers....is ticking the box for DoP in MC the only way? What method do DSD disc players like sony or PS3 use to get the digital signal to the DSD DAC?
Thanks
David

Not Me

• Recent member
Re: Does DSD have a unique digital interface (not just DoP) ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:13:03 pm »

I am wondering the same thing. As well as how to get any actual help here. I can't find any way to post a question so I am replying to this one.

I purchased some high res files from Acoustic Sounds and now I am trying to find some way to play them. I have an iFi nano iDSD dac which supports the files. I found some info on the web about setting the Dop thing, before that JRiver could not even see them. But the dac is playing them as 44khz which I can tell from the color of the light on the top of it.

I read that JRiver supports high res files. That's why I bought it. But no one seems to be able to tell me how to use it to do what I want.

As far as I can tell JRiver does NOT actually play DSD files it only down samples them into PCM. If that is that case can anyone tell me where I can get a player that actually plays DSD files?

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:20:57 am »

Enable DSD bitstreaming.

Tools → Options → Audio → Bitstreaming: DSD

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:01:02 am »

I am wondering if there is a unique or dedicated digital interface for DSD (as their exists for PCM based IE60958 aes3/spdif).

There's DoP and there's an ASIO method which delivers the data directly.  The ASIO method is a dedicated digital interface.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:38 am »

As far as I can tell JRiver does NOT actually play DSD files it only down samples them into PCM. If that is that case can anyone tell me where I can get a player that actually plays DSD files?

There are several players out there that play DSD files.  The Lumin A1 and S1 are examples that I have and they accept DSD 1x and 2x files.  I am sure there are other ones as well.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:00 pm »

There are two separate issues here, 1) DSD digital interfaces  and 2) Playing DSD on MC

1) AFAIK after further exploration since my initial post there was/is no standard digital interface for DSD.
   Sony released an interface known as "SDIF-3" (not to be confused with AES3 or SPDIF).
   Some early DSD equipment apparently used a data format known as ‘DSD-raw’ or "SDIF-2" which was apparently simply a stream of DSD samples in non-return-to-zero (NRZ) form. I do not know if either of these exist in the real world today.

I am aware of DACS said to be compatible with DSD transfers over USB, Firewire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF and HDMI I think. I am not sure if these use a DoP implementation or how many can do raw native DSD bitstreaming. There are also propriety implementations talked about in SACD players.

2) DSD on JRiver MC. I know, as Matt points out, MC can accommodate DSD over DoP (this is not the same as converting DSD to PCM, which MC is also capable). I have used DoP over USB with an Auralic Vega DAC I auditioned. This required an ASIO driver from Auralic. The native/raw DSD bitstreaming, again as Matt points out, is over an appropriate ASIO driver and a different setting within MC. I gather the driver would need to be supplied by the DAC manufacturer that support this implementation and whatever particular digital interface connection method. Some MC related DSD links
   http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format
   http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65161.0
   http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=printpage;topic=66719.0
   http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80983.0;topicseen

Pages: [1]   Go Up