INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi part TV episodes?  (Read 4149 times)

MasterC

• Recent member
Multi part TV episodes?
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:13:51 am »

I tried searching around the forums, but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for. Is there any way that J River can work with multi-episode TV shows? Specifically, let's say I have 2 episodes of a TV show that are contained in one file? Is there any way to have this tagged as episodes 1 and 2???

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multi part TV episodes?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:31 am »

Simply extend the episode like so: s01e02e03. This is the most widely used way to do it. MC will be gather the metadata correctly.

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:13:31 am »

That is how the file is named, however J River is only pulling in the episode information for episode 1...

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:30:53 am »

Can you share the series name and season/episode this is happening with?

I have the same problem with some of the double episodes, for example Star Trek Next Generation. My dvd's combine the double episodes, like s03e26 and s04e01 (Best of Both Worlds). However, the release on thetvdb.com (which MC queries) do not have these combined, even when switching to dvd order (at the bottom of the page). In this case MC only pulls the first episode of the two. I am not aware of a workaround or fix for this, except manual correction.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:08:04 am »

A single video file can simply only have one name and one description, I don't see how it could show both.

Its quite odd when these things span two seasons, and I would always prefer to have two files then.
If they don't span two season, there are some formats of the names which it can recognize and then uses "1-2" in the episode field, but I don't remember off-hand which format it recognizes here.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35:20 am »

Yes it is odd, Star Trek are the only series I have that do this. I didn't mean to suggest that MC should handle pulling multiple names and descriptions and combine them for a single entry in MC. I simply meant to say that if those fields would be different, a manual correction is the only way to fix it. I never had to do this myself as all the double episodes I have share name and synopsis on thetvdb.com, so there is nothing to combine.

Format naming from what I can see in my library, combining e03e04 works and so does using a dash, like 3-4. I don't think I ever had to manually correct the episode field in MC except for the oddball called Star Trek.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:59:06 am »

Not a neat suggestion but you could find some vid software out on the interweb and split the file.

I've got a paid for editor but there are freeware options if you search hard enough and do a bit of trial and error to work out what works best for you.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:55 am »

You could also apply particles to split them "virtually", however the problem generally is that there is no clear defined split point. Its not just two eps concated with their own intro and everything, its typically one long ep, so you have to actually figure out where the split point is and time it exactly - and that still leaves you with a second ep without the usual intro.

For watching, its usually better to keep them as one, and then just deal with it in the library.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:34:57 pm »

Thanks for all the quick replies and suggestions.

The TV series is Star Trek: TNG and Star Trek: Enterprise. I guess the frustrating thing is is that Plex and XBMC pick up on the fact that there are two episodes contained in one file via the filename (S0xE0xE0x) and J River cannot. Maybe in an upcoming release this could be added as a feature?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:45:33 am »

Well, MediaCenter has this as a feature already. The problem turned out to be that MC doesn't (always?) detect the way we name our files. In the case of ST Enterprise, episodes 1 & 2 of Season 1, my file was named:
Star Trek Enterprise.s01e01e02.Broken Bow.720p.bluray.mkv

MC didn't detect 2 episodes.

I renamed the file to use a dash:
Star Trek Enterprise.s01e01-02.Broken Bow.720p.bluray.mkv

And MC now picks it up as a double episode.

I was certain MC also detected the 'e01e02' but maybe I was wrong about that - sorry. The other episodes in my library also use a dash.

So maybe we can sneak in a feature request: can we have MediaCenter detect e01e02 naming scheme for double episodes please? :).

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:09 pm »

Thanks InflatableMouse! That seemed to do the trick.

This is a much easier workaround - although it would be nice to have the standard e01e02 naming scheme supported in J River for consistency reasons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up