INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles  (Read 1135 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Subtitles
« on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:36 pm »

Hey,

What's the score with this. Watched Only God Forgives last night and had no subs. Had to turn it to 'Always show subtitles' but then that showed them for English speaking as well, and had 'prompts' like (CROWD CLAPPING).

?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »

Hey,

What's the score with this. Watched Only God Forgives last night and had no subs. Had to turn it to 'Always show subtitles' but then that showed them for English speaking as well, and had 'prompts' like (CROWD CLAPPING).

?
not sure. but you can turn the subs on/of in the osd thingy.. and when it says (CROWD CLAPPING) you turned on the subs for people with hearing problems..  8)

:)
gab

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:38:23 pm »

Unfortunately it depends on what you're watching.
I'm going to use English in the examples here, but just assume I'm talking about the default language for the disc.

I've yet to see Media Center automatically enable subtitles for an English Blu-ray with foreign languages spoken in it.
Depending on the disc, you may find that there are multiple English tracks - often you will have:
  • Full subtitles for all spoken dialog
  • SDH subtitles which include audio cues (e.g. [CROWD CLAPPING])
  • Subtitles for the commentary track if there is one (if there are multiple languages, these are usually at the end of the list rather than with the other English tracks)
  • If you're lucky, there will be a subtitle track which only contains the non-English dialog.

Unfortunately a lot of discs use another method for their subtitles, and there seems to be two ways of doing this.
Essentially what they do is take the full English subtitle track, but only display the parts which contain non-English dialog.

I don't know of any way to select these "forced" subtitle tracks for Blu-ray discs in Media Center.
The only way I've seen to access them is to rip the disc via MakeMKV and select them there.
This type of forced subtitle is quite unreliable in my experience though - some discs simply have all subtitles flagged as being "forced" or none at all.

Other discs do the same thing, but - and I don't know the technical details here - the method used relies on either BD Java or Menu support, neither of which Media Center has.
With these discs you don't really have any options in MC beyond displaying the full English subtitle track.

With DVDs, forced subtitles seem to work correctly, but there's no way to select them in Media Center directly - you need to select them via the DVD menus. (or they may simply just play, depending on the disc)

I have the opposite problem there actually - MakeMKV can extract forced subtitle tracks with Blu-ray, but does not offer this function for DVDs.
So there are a number of DVDs for which I have to keep the full rip in MC rather than extracting the movie itself from the disc.

As for Only God Forgives, I haven't actually got around to watching the film yet, but I just checked my disc and it only has two subtitle tracks on it.
The first is the full English subtitle track (though I'm not sure if it had SDH subs - I just skipped through a few scenes quickly)
The second track only contains subtitles for the non-English dialog.

Of course this may differ depending on the version you have.
Some companies put out one disc worldwide, and other companies have different discs depending on where you buy it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up