INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can You Not Import CD Rip  (Read 2252 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Can You Not Import CD Rip
« on: April 26, 2014, 03:40:44 am »

Hi, I am currently going through the process of re-ripping all my CD's to Flac format as they are currently in a mixture of MP3 and Ogg. The problem I'm having is that when I rip a CD it automatically gets imported into the MC library which I don't want to happen.

I have it set to rip the files to a folder that is not in the auto-import list but it still auto-imports the files. Because of this I am ending up with duplicates of everything in my library, the original MP3/Ogg and the new Flac's. What I want to do is just rip a bunch of CD's to a folder and then when I'm ready delete the original MP3/Ogg files from the library and from the disc and then copy the Flac's into the proper music folder to then get auto-imported.

So basically, is there a setting to tell the system not to import files when ripping. I seem to remember seeing a setting like this once but I can't for the life of find it now so maybe I was imagining it.

BernhardS

• World Citizen
Re: Can You Not Import CD Rip
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:32 am »

I have it set to rip the files to a folder that is not in the auto-import list

... Options > File Location > Audio - here you set Path and rules for filename and folder

So basically, is there a setting to tell the system not to import files when ripping.

I think   ... Options > Library & Folders > unselect "Run auto-import in background"
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:08:21 pm »

Ripped tracks are always imported.  Just delete them afterwards from MC's database (select the tracks, hit Delete).

Auto-import is not involved here.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »

Ripped tracks are always imported.  Just delete them afterwards from MC's database (select the tracks, hit Delete).

Auto-import is not involved here.

Ah, ok. Thanks for that.

At least I know now and can stop looking for a setting that isn't there.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:47 pm »

Ah, ok. Thanks for that.

At least I know now and can stop looking for a setting that isn't there.

Another approach is to create a separate library just for ripping CDs.  It takes a couple of minutes to create an additional library. I've been ripping to a special library for years.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:09 am »

Another approach is to create a separate library just for ripping CDs.  It takes a couple of minutes to create an additional library. I've been ripping to a special library for years.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. So would you just tell MC to load the 'ripping' library, rip the CD's and then switch back to the normal library again when finished.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:20 am »

That's correct.

Be sure to add the rip folder tree to Auto-Import in your main library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:10:40 pm »

That's correct.

Be sure to add the rip folder tree to Auto-Import in your main library.

I'm a belt 'n suspenders kind of guy.  I don't want anything in my permanent library until I've got a good secure rip and accurate tag values. I rip to a folder tree that's just for temporarily storing newly-ripped files and manually move the files to a permanent location.  That approach could be adapted for the OP's situation where he doesn't want to ripped files in his library.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »

I'm a belt 'n suspenders kind of guy.  I don't want anything in my permanent library until I've got a good secure rip and accurate tag values. I rip to a folder tree that's just for temporarily storing newly-ripped files and manually move the files to a permanent location.  That approach could be adapted for the OP's situation where he doesn't want to ripped files in his library.

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing this afternoon. Ripping to a temporary location with 'rippintg library' loaded. Sort any rogue tags out of which thwere are always a few. Then when I'm sure everything is correct copy them into the normal music import folder ready to be imported as soon as the 'normal' library is reloaded.

Thanks very much the advice to do it this way, it appears to be working a treat. I too am a belt 'n' braces guy and want everything correct before importing the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up