INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: categories and MJ8  (Read 601 times)

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
categories and MJ8
« on: February 16, 2002, 02:03:10 pm »

Since merging libraries in MJ7 corrupts the database in such a way that category information is lost, I would like to plan ahead for using MJ8 (but I don't want to switch until it's released).  (BTW, I've concluded that merge is broken in MJ7 since I have had no input to the contrary, despite two posts, but if anyone has info otherwise please let me know.)  

One person told me that categories are sort of gone in MJ8; i.e., they are just a group of playlists.  I would like to understand this better so that I don't waste energy building my collection in MJ7.  Does this mean, for example, that categories are discarded when moving to MJ8?   If I have a category "mellow" and a smart playlist "mellow" in MJ7, what's the equivalent mechanism in MJ8?  It's hard to understand how equivalent functionality can be achieved without tagging individual songs that are "mellow".  

Thanks
js

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:categories and MJ8
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2002, 07:44:46 am »

Noburg,

It's been a while since I converted to v8, but if memory serves, what happens is that all your categories become playlists.  There will be a playlist group called "Organization" and another called "Mixes" (playlist groups are just like category groups) and all your 'categories' will be playlists, some of them in each of these playlist groups.  I could be wrong about the details, but I'm fairly sure that all your categories are preserved, ie turned into playlists.  What I'm not sure of is if your current playlists are preserved.  They weren't way back when I first got v8.  They probably are now.

Your best bet is to backup your current library, try v8, and take a look.  Note, however, that v8 uses a new kind of database, so if you want to revert to v7, then you should restore the backup of the v7 database.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2002, 07:59:44 am »

don't know about smartlists, but UI can confirm what Lise says. All my categories (124 of them) appear in v.8  - as playlist groups and playlists, beneath the headline called Organization.

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 04:32:35 am »

thanks lise and xstatic.
js
Pages: [1]   Go Up