INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie / DSD conversion question.....  (Read 3187 times)

Rob50

• Recent member
Newbie / DSD conversion question.....
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:19:26 am »

Hi Guys,

I have recently been converting flac files ( 44.1 ) to DSD ( to play back on my Sony Hi Res Walkman / F886 ) I was thrilled to find out that this conversion was playing back as sampling rate, 2.8224 MHz. ( although, not gapless ?? Is there a way around this gapless issue ? )
I'm aware that there is a higher sampling rate, 5.6448 MHz. Is it possible to convert to this, using jriver ? ( As you may gather, I'm a total novice !....and any help, would be much appreciated !!
( Are the above sampling rates known as DSD64 / DSD128 ? )

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie / DSD conversion question.....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:28:49 am »

Click the "…" button in the conversion window and you will be able to select Double DSD.
Whether the files will play gaplessly depends on the player.

I'm not sure that I would suggest PCM to DSD conversion for a portable device though - it's going to massively inflate the file size for little benefit.

Rob50

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:23:56 am »

Click the "…" button

Thank you very much for your reply. Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what that is ? I clicked DSD twice initially, which as I said has converted to 2.8224 MHz ( It would be easier if DOUBLE DSD, e.t.c. was shown in the list....or perhaps it is, and I'm clicking wrongly ! ? )
I know it uses up a hell of a lot of space, but I really love the higher sonic quality. I've been thinking of buying a Sony HAP-S1 ( 500GB )  I'm not sure how many of these files I could fit on that amount of space ??
There's no gapless issue with flac 44.1, but I did get a clicking sound with 192/24 conversion / playback.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:38:36 am »

⠀ 

Rob50

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:24 am »

⠀ 

Thanks so much for that....I'm blind as a bat !! ( Just converting an album, for comparison....)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:10:13 am »

I have recently been converting flac files ( 44.1 ) to DSD ( to play back on my Sony Hi Res Walkman / F886 ) I was thrilled to find out that this conversion was playing back as sampling rate, 2.8224 MHz.

Why are you converting you files? Even if you think you see a higher sampling rate, you wont get any better sound out than what you had in your original files...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:36:59 pm »

Why are you converting you files? Even if you think you see a higher sampling rate, you wont get any better sound out than what you had in your original files...
While most would agree that PCM upsampling is mostly worthless, some people would argue that conversion to DSD results in a softer more analog sound.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can see why someone might want to convert to DSD.
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/09/measurements-pcm-to-dsd-upsampling.html

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 04:39:23 am »

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=74

In short:
There will be some loss in quality when you do the PCM to DSD conversion, but this loss is just because of the limitations of the DSD and not due to any limitations of the conversion process

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 07:31:36 am »

Thanks, interesting read.

Rob50

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:25:56 am »

Well unless I'm imagining it, I can hear a clear difference......

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 07:18:43 am »

Well unless I'm imagining it, I can hear a clear difference......

I am convinced there is a difference. I am convinced that a large portion of people can hear it. But I  am certainly not convinced that what you hear is closer to the original sound. How can an additional conversion step add more detail "out of thin air"...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Rob50

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 04:46:17 pm »

How can an additional conversion step add more detail "out of thin air"...

With all due respect, I haven't suggested that more detail is added. I know that's not possible. I've only got into ripping / converting to flac / dsd files recently. What's clear, is that ALL the detail comes to the fore....unlike mp3 files, for instance....
Pages: [1]   Go Up