INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver sticking When playing DSD through DSP  (Read 2490 times)

deuceadam

• Recent member
JRiver sticking When playing DSD through DSP
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:46:56 am »

When I play any files back in DSD JRiver stops playing back for short periods of time. Tried different settings but still happens.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver sticking When playing DSD through DSP
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:37:22 am »

From the log you provided I see you're playing a flac file through a WASAPI device called "3- Schiit Audio DSD Device". Your log says "GetOutputFormat: 44.1kHz 64bit 2ch", which to me, means you're outputting PCM.

Maybe you can provide a little more info what you are trying to do and please explain what "sticking" means in your case.

Thanks.

deuceadam

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »

Sticking means the music will just stop playing, then it will start playing again but not where it stopped, where it should have been if it never stopped. I hope this isn't confusing. I am trying to play DSD into dop format, which I believe is PCM.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:29:27 am »

Oke so you are getting drop outs.

DoP is not PCM, it is DSD encapsulated in PCM with some header bits to tell the DAC it looks like PCM but its actually DSD.

I assume the Shiit DAC supports DoP and doesn't require native DSD, I don't know I didn't check.

Let's check a few settings.

Right click the zone (under Playing Now) and choose Playback Options. Open Audio Device and see if you can choose ASIO for the Shiit Audio DSD Device.

If you don't have ASIO for the Shiit, then leave it set to WASAPI and open Device Settings right below that.
Make sure that 'Open device for exclusive access' is ticked, and 'Disable event style' is not ticked.

Here, you can increase buffering to make playback more skip resistant. This might help with your problem. To test, set it to the maximum and see if the behavior changes. If it no longer skips (no more dropouts) you can gradually bring it down to minimize latency.

Confirm the changes and open 'DSP & output format' (under settings right below Audio Device).
Choose Output format on the left. Make sure it is ticked.
In the right part of the screen, under Output Encoding, choose DSD in DoP format.

Close DSP Studio
Make sure Bitstreaming is disabled.

Hope that helps. Just ask if you have any questions.

deuceadam

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »

First thanks to inflatable mouse!! :) I tried everything you mentioned but still got drop-outs. So I looked into the bios of my motherboard made sure all drivers where updated. Still no help, but noticed drop outs only happened when I would back flac files. MP3 files played back fine. So I went back into the bios and found some Intel power saver that effects the Sata controller. I have always shutdown this Intel power saver on every motherboard I have seen it on. I just didn't expect to see it in the drive control. So I disabled it and the problem has vanished with it. ;D

Why would I play non DSD through my DSD dac? IT SOUNDS SO GOOD!!!!!

dean70

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:06:32 pm »

I have got DSD envy  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up