Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Id (the device formerly known as Synapse)

(1/8) > >>

JimH:
We still need to solve a couple of problems, but even so, it has already become my primary audio player at home.

We're planning to take a few orders about May 15 for shipment on June 1.  We'll offer an introductory discount.  I'd like to get the price down to $295, but it's tough to do.

Here's the description:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id

I don't think beta members are our primary target for this.  Many are able to build their own.  But I'm interested in your take on this, including any typos or errors that you see.

Thanks,

Jim

mwillems:

--- Quote from: JimH on May 02, 2014, 04:30:52 pm ---We still need to solve a couple of problems, but even so, its become my primary audio player at home.

We're aiming at taking a few orders around May 15 for shipment on June 1.  We'll offer in introductory discount.  I'd like to get the price down to $295, but it's tight.

Here's the description:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id

I don't think the beta members are our primary target since many are more than capable of building their own equivalent.  But I'm interested in your take on this, including any typos or errors.

Thanks,

Jim

--- End quote ---

I think that's a really good pitch, and will appeal to many folks.  I think it'll be a nice device that answers a "felt need."  I do have two questions about the "portable media player" section.  

1) When I read "portable media player" I think of something like an Ipod or a Sansa Clip, i.e. something battery-powered with a headphone jack.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_media_player.  The Id won't have a battery, right?  If not, some folks might come to the wrong conclusion about the device.  It might not be an issue in practice, but I wanted to mention it as it's the first place my brain went.  It might be worth clarifying in the ad copy, or using something a little vaguer for the heading like "Take your media with you," or "Portable media server."

2) You mention hooking the Id directly to an amp; does the stereo jack put out a high-impedance line-level output, or a low-impedance amplified output (i.e. suitable for headphones)?  Most 1/8 inch jacks are only one or the other (although I've seen some that can be switched). There can be problems from hooking up a low-impedance headphone output to the input of an amp.  Obviously lots of folks hook up the outputs of laptops to amps everyday, and it's not usually an issue, but depending on the specifics, double amplification can cause some amps to act flaky due to the impedance mismatch.  Not sure it's necessarily a problem for the Id (I don't have a NUC nearby to measure the output impedance), but it may be worth taking a measurement to confirm it's not a super low impedance output (which might create support issues down the road).

That's just what I thought of reading through the copy; I'm looking forward to seeing the roll out!

MrC:
The one thing I'm thinking, there is going to be some name confusion, due to the Wiki font used.  The ID looks like and LD or a 1D.  Even though you describe it later as Imaginary device, some will call it "LD".  Maybe setting the font for that word on the Wiki page will avoid such confusion and ambiguity.

fitbrit:
1) I prefer the 'Synapse' name.
2) $295 would be a great price for the hardware/software combo.
3) Is the device capable of running Theater View in its current form? Or is it designed only for remote control from a tablet or other instance of MC?

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: fitbrit on May 02, 2014, 06:07:03 pm ---3) Is the device capable of running Theater View in its current form? Or is it designed only for remote control from a tablet or other instance of MC?

--- End quote ---

It runs MC Linux, so no theater view (yet).
Whenever Linux gets support for that, there is no reason it couldn't learn to do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version