INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix Sound - MC19  (Read 2074 times)

eam81969

• Recent member
Netflix Sound - MC19
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:34 am »

I have a strange Netflix sound issue that I cannot seem to solve.  While Netflix works with MC19, I can watch movies nicely, the sound is always 2 channel stereo.  I'd like to have a majority of the sound come through the center channel instead of the front LR.  It doesn't seem to matter what settings I choose in MC, my PC, or on my receiver.  It's behaving as if a 2 channel sound is coming from Netflix, then MC converts it to 5.1.  Except that sound is only coming through the front L and R.  And, when I change sound fonts within the receiver, its still stereo.  Do I need to restart the feed or MC for changes to take effect?  Or, something to do with Silverlight?  I'm further confused by the fact that BD/DVD movies I've ripped sound excellent and do change when I change sound fonts on the receiver.  I'm using hdmi to pass the sound directly to the receiver and not using bit streaming. The version of MC is the latest.  I'm sure there's a specific setup that would achieve what I'm after.  I know that Netflix is not that tightly integrated.  But, I am hoping that this is solvable.  The forums are helpful, but, this is something I cannot find.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.
i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 w/Intel HD Graphics 530
ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Mobo
8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HD
DVDFab
Windows 10
JRMark: 4405

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Netflix Sound - MC19
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:43:17 am »

I have a strange Netflix sound issue that I cannot seem to solve.  While Netflix works with MC19, I can watch movies nicely, the sound is always 2 channel stereo.  I'd like to have a majority of the sound come through the center channel instead of the front LR.  It doesn't seem to matter what settings I choose in MC, my PC, or on my receiver.  It's behaving as if a 2 channel sound is coming from Netflix, then MC converts it to 5.1.  Except that sound is only coming through the front L and R.  And, when I change sound fonts within the receiver, its still stereo.  Do I need to restart the feed or MC for changes to take effect?  Or, something to do with Silverlight?  I'm further confused by the fact that BD/DVD movies I've ripped sound excellent and do change when I change sound fonts on the receiver.  I'm using hdmi to pass the sound directly to the receiver and not using bit streaming. The version of MC is the latest.  I'm sure there's a specific setup that would achieve what I'm after.  I know that Netflix is not that tightly integrated.  But, I am hoping that this is solvable.  The forums are helpful, but, this is something I cannot find.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

As you've discovered, Netflix is a special case, because it automatically bypasses MC's audio chain due to silverlight. It outputs to the windows default audio device without giving JRiver an opportunity to do anything to the sound, so no audio settings in JRiver will affect the netflix output (ordinarily).  

If you want to do upmixing/processing of Netflix sound in MC, the easiest way to do it is to setup MC's loopback feature and open netflix in an external browser.  If you need more info on how to setup loopback, I can give you a step by step.

jarbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:54:32 am »

Hi,

Is there a possible solution to this Silverlight issue that will be fixed in future JRiver versions?
I am dependent on convolution to output sound to my speakers (active system with XO implementet in convolution-file)

Kind Regards,
Jarle

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »

Hi,

Is there a possible solution to this Silverlight issue that will be fixed in future JRiver versions?
I am dependent on convolution to output sound to my speakers (active system with XO implementet in convolution-file)

Kind Regards,
Jarle

I also have an active crossover, so I feel your pain; the Silverlight issue isn't JRiver's to fix, Silverlight doesn't offer configuration options and it bypasses JRiver.

But you can easily work around it by using JRiver's software loopback or ASIO line in features.  I use the WASAPI loopback feature and it works great as long as you don't mind launching netflix in an external browser.  If you need help getting it going, ask, and I can suggest some first steps.

jarbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 12:52:25 am »

Hi,

I don't mind launching Netflix in an external browser, but what about latency which is considerable in my case?
Please guide me along if this seems to be a viable solution for me.

Thanks!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:02:43 am »

Hi,

I don't mind launching Netflix in an external browser, but what about latency which is considerable in my case?
Please guide me along if this seems to be a viable solution for me.

Thanks!

It depends on how much latency you need in your convolution files.  If you can get your convolution latency down to 15ms or so, you can typically use the filters with loopback without lipsync problems.  With a 44.1KHz filter that's about 1200 taps or less.  You can do a lot of correction in a short filter, but perhaps not everything you want.

If your filters are very long, there are basically two ways to do it:

1) Stay with the all convolution solution, but build a second bank of low latency filters to use for loopback.  Audiolense and Acourate both offer "minimum latency" type filter generation options if you're using either of those services. You'd then create a separate zone in JRiver that will have loopback routed to it by zoneswitch.  That way the rest of your audio can use the longer filters, and only loopback will get the short filters.  Forum user mojave has had good luck using audiolense to create very low latency convolution filters usable with loopback (although he uses ASIO line in rather than loopback these days).

2) The other approach (which is more laborious, but is what I did), is to migrate as much of your filtering as you can out of convolution and into JRiver's PEQ (because PEQ is virtually no latency).  I do my actual crossovers as IIR filters in JRiver's PEQ (along with other minimum phase EQ), and then correct the phase and some other hard to correct issues in a low latency convolution file.  That way I can use loopback with convolution, and even if I have to turn the convolution off (like for very latency sensitive applications like video games), I don't lose my whole system, just some refinements.

Does that make sense?

jarbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:39:22 am »

Thanks,

I will have to do some testing to see what will work. I don't mind sacrificing correction in order to get this to work. The alternative is to buy a set of PC-speakers to connect to the TV.

Could it be a possibility to use Netflix streaming from my Smart-TV and then take the digital output (optical) from the TV?
I have a RME Fireface UC soundcard which has a digtial (optical) input. Or would it have to be a normal line-input?

-Jarle

Castius

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:31 am »

jarbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 12:32:50 pm »

Thats ok. I only have stereo speakers  ;)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:22 pm »

Sadly most TVs down sample to 2 channel.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1389050/tvs-with-5-1-passthrough-from-hdmi-to-spdif/30#post_21574778

Many decent, newer Smart TVs pass 5.1 DD just fine. I regularly pass 5.1 from Amazon to my receiver in 5.1 DD using a Sony TV. It may drop to 2 channel if the wireless speed is not adequate.

Give it a try.

Vreejack

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

I have heard complaints that specific systems always downgraded it to 2-channel, but I do not believe compressed 5.1 is covered by the licensing agreement that requires HDMI for pass-through and that requirement only applies to the newer HD formats which cannot be possibly sent by S/PDIF anyway. HDMI carries eight uncompressed channels of audio.

Here is the problem I am working on: my TV looks like a 2-channel sound system to my computer, so how to I get computer apps to send multi-channel sound? I think pretty much all TV's have this problem and yet I hear it actually works, so what is actually going on?

Pages: [1]   Go Up