INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver crashing - and losing registration code - What to do?  (Read 2638 times)

iPanini

• Recent member
JRiver crashing - and losing registration code - What to do?
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:02:36 am »

Hi,

In the past I've had my share of problems with MC, all windows platform based. Most seemed to be related to my audio card (Juli@), but I've never really been able to pinpoint the origin of the problems.
Today I work a lot on both Win and Mac platform, several networked machines and a Synology NAS + smb network shares. (I think I've disabled Apple sharing on the NAS to be able to pinpoint share problems more easily)

Last week installed and purchased MC for the MAC. MC 18 (for now, as on this machine I HAVE to stick with 10.6.8, continued support on MC 18 would be HUGELY appreciated, let me know if I can help) and it has been stable without any problem at all.

Because of the intrinsic complexity inherent to the myriad of possibilities with MC, I re-installed MC 19 on my Windows 7 machine. (Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H, only onboard sound, Z77 chipset, VIA VT2021 codec according to the motherboard manual)
Unfortunately during the 2 days I've been running MC on win 7, I've suffered 3 crashes of MC...
On top of that it loses its Licence, don't know why?

I did a search on the forum and found some really old (2004-ish) posts related to discussions, but nothing relevant to today's problem.
FYI I have vmware workstation and virtual box installed on this system, meaning that these create extra virtual nic's.
I've already changed my NIC to not use power saving (advanced settings) but this doesn't really help.

I have saved log files available.
I can not accept to loose restore keys on this basis. I have my licence keys saved on disk, however there doesn't seem to be a way to restore a licence from disk, is that correct?
Please advise.
[edit #1]
In the mean time I've found on the wiki that each key is only valid for 14 days, and that it can be restored by double clicking on it.
That should give me the opportunity to solve this issue within 14 days of issuing date of the key.. But what after those 14 days??

Also upon restart of MC, I get a security alert about "Revocation information for the security certificate..."
Today it's about a twitter.com certificate, but I am not using twitter and thus am not aware about these certificates on my machine. Yesterday it was some other certificate.
How is JRiver involved with using these certificates? Clearly something is wrong here...

Any pointer as to how to debug this situation welcome.
Thanks for your help,

Erwin

[edit #2]
Code: [Select]
I could not attach the first log as is is too large.
I have unzipped it and only attached the Log.txt - if you need the rest, please advise how?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver crashing - and losing registration code - What to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:07:44 am »

You have a license for MC19 for both Windows and Mac.  Please switch to MC19.

If you run out of restores, let use know.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:01 am »

His problems if I read correctly are with MC19 on Windows 7. He mentioned MC18 on OS X was stable.

So let's focus on that. Please take your time to go through the the Troubleshooting Guide.

Concerning the license file, I thought you could simply double click it to install it in MC (within the 14 day limit)?

Some questions:
32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7?
Did you install the INF update from Intel?
What AV and Firewall software are you running?
Did you update video and audio drivers from their respective manufacturers?
I assume your system is stable with other programs or is Windows/other applpications also crashing?

iPanini

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:07 am »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking into this.
Jim, I don't want to sound offensive, but, I explicitly write that on MAC, AND on this particular machine I DON'T WANT to upgrade beyond OS X 10.6.8 because of hardware AND other software requirements. I've posted about this machine and the reasons behind it on this forum under the MAC section. Hence my invitation to NOT LET DROP MC 18 for MAC. I will (soon) install MC 19 on another machine (macmini) to be able to use and compare (compare because I don't know all the ins and outs (yet)).
This has also been communicated to you in direct mail communication with you.
I can understand that you're short on time, and I very much appreciate you looking into this, even on the week-end.

InflatableMouse, thanks for your valuable help too.
Indeed, MAC version 18 runs stable.
This is about Windows version 19.0.128, I think this is the latest version.
- I'm running Win 7 64 bit
- What specific Intel INF file are you referring to? I have just recently checked with the intel driver update utility http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect.
(Reason for my checking was for USB 3 - whether my board has a Renesas chip; I was unable to find out, but my system was reportedly up to date)
- No AV (I'm behind a linux firewall that does the work)
- No Firewall up on this machine
(I regularly use networked software that specifically requests AV & Firewall to be off, that's why)
- video / audio drivers, I use an older Nvidia Quadro NVS 450 video card, connected to 2 Apple LED27 monitors over displayport. I must be careful not to disrupt this configuration, driver version: 314.22 As far as audio drivers, this is the stock motherboard driver VIA Technologies version 6.0.10200.
- Indeed the system is very stable, so no other known problems.

To be more specific about the problem:
 MC seems to hang, spinning wheel, next the application window goes transparant or white and you can't activate it anymore, later you get the familiar window "blabla does not respond, do you want to wait or close" message. I've tried both, wait, and close.

I've also attached the requested reporter, benchmark and system info.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:11:31 am »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking into this.
... I explicitly write that on MAC, AND on this particular machine I DON'T WANT to upgrade beyond OS X 10.6.8 because of hardware AND other software requirements. I've posted about this machine and the reasons behind it on this forum under the MAC section. Hence my invitation to NOT LET DROP MC 18 for MAC. I will (soon) install MC 19 on another machine (macmini) to be able to use and compare (compare because I don't know all the ins and outs (yet)).
You don't have to upgrade your OS to use MC19.  What you have will work.

MC18 development is finished.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 09:19:11 am »

I understand your problem report is for the Windows version.

Reinstalling your license may be required if your machine name changes.  Changing the system date could also do it.

Registry cleaners can cause problems.

Does the firewall allow outbound access?

What is the network software you've mentioned?  What does it do?

iPanini

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:28:06 am »

Jim,

Thanks.
Machine name hasn't changed, system date neither, unless there's a problem with different international writing?
No registry cleaner used.
Firewall allows outbound access, I must add that we have very slow connection here, nothing to be done about that (old ADSL), but I did notice when MC was asking for the licence info, after me copying / pasting the info, MC seemed to have a problem connecting, and on a 2nd try verification worked.

The software mentioned is no network software as such, it is Coolux Pandoras Box http://www.coolux.de/, media software used for building media shows. Because it can use various networked machines, each carrying its own licence and its own video card to be connected to multiple projectores.

Thanks

iPanini

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 09:30:57 am »

You have a license for MC19 for both Windows and Mac.  Please switch to MC19.

If you run out of restores, let use know.

Ah, I so MC 19 will run on OS X 10.6.8 too? I thought I had read that MC 19 requires 10.7 at a minimum..

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 11:39:07 am »

Ah, I so MC 19 will run on OS X 10.6.8 too? I thought I had read that MC 19 requires 10.7 at a minimum..

Nope.  It works on Snow Leopard:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Installation_%26_Removal#OSX

Lion or later is recommended (last I used it, the UI was still a little glitchy on Snow Leopard), but it works.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

iPanini

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:16:26 pm »

Glynor, thanks for confirming.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 07:27:41 pm »

You should be able to restore your license.  Please read "License Info" carefully linked in Jim's signature line for more details.

The "14 days" reference applies to the install key (mjr file) only.  Doing a restore will get you a brand-new install key.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

iPanini

• Recent member
JRiver crashing - and losing registration code - Don't shoot the pianist
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 06:01:06 am »

I have been able to pinpoint what is most likely the cause of my problem:
As I've been using JRiver off and on on various systems with various degrees of success it's not always easy to distinguish what happened when where on what system.
I have therefore set up an excel sheet containing all purchase and registration history with the keys.

Up to now I was not aware that a key would only be valid for 14 days. Hence using out of date keys does not work and leads to..
Also, I caught myself using a Mac key on a Win system - sure this does not work.

Hint:
Maybe it's possible to have JRiver throw a message stating an entered key is of a different OS or will not work with..

Thanks for your input guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up