INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Black Blank screen problem  (Read 3670 times)

miketl

Theater View Black Blank screen problem
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »

Hello,

I have configured JRiver in General->Jump On Play (Audio)-> Theater View Playing Now. Also on startup in is configured to start in Mini View.
If I double click on a file outside of JRiver, in Windows Explorer it opens it as it should in Theater View Playing Now  and in shows the Theater view as it should normaly be (this is for the first time to start playing while JRiver was not running previously). The problem I have is if I exit Theater View by clicking the HotKey Ctrl+4 and then double click on another file in Windows Explorer it opens Theater View but the Screen is completely Empty, a black blank screen with nothing written on it nor any images present on this screen. I have just installed JRiver V19 and before using V18 and never faced this issue on V18.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View Black Blank screen problem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »

Are you playing audio?  Try a right click for options.

miketl

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:24:29 pm »

I am playing a Flac file using Microsoft Windows Explorer, double click on a second file while the first file is playing or even stop playing. It goes to Theater View Playing Now but the screen is completely empty black blank screen. What do you mean that I "use option right click" where yo want me to right click?

Thanks

miketl

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »

Just to add more information... I have tried the same setup on a completely different computer and it behaves the same (i.e, Black Blank Theater View screen).

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:43:42 am »

Right click on the screen.

In MC's Options, try changing the setting under General/Behavior.

miketl

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:40:27 am »

I have already said in my first email I configured in General->Behavior-> Jump On Play (Audio)-> Theater View Playing Now, is this the setting that you are referring to? Could you please try to replicate my settings and see if it happens on your computer. I am having the same consistent behavior on two different computers. The first file that I play is fine, but if I play another file using double click on Windows Explorer I get a Black Blank screen.
If I press CTRL-4 and again CTRL-4 (two times CTRL-4) I get the Theater View Playing Now screen. It never happens to me on MC18 it starts on MC19.

Thanks

connersw

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:24:03 am »

I replicated the settings you described, and I can not repeat the problem.  It opens into Theater View Playing Now without issue selecting multiple files externally.

In Tools -> Options -> Theater View -> Behavior -> Jump on play (audio) what do you have it set to?  Is it then going into Display View?  What is your Display View set to?  Does Display View "work" or is that your black screen?

miketl

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:11 am »

Thank you for trying to replicate my issue.
In Tools -> Options -> Theater View -> Behavior -> Jump on play (audio) I set it up to "Theater View Playing Now"
If MC is not running just select one FLAC file in Microsoft Windows Explorer and double click it it will start playing and it goes to  "Theater View Playing Now" as it should, but now press the hotkey Ctrl+4 which toggles "Theater View". After pressing this hotkey you can go back to Windows Explorer and then select another FLAC file and double click it. It will go to Theater View but the screen is completely black and devoid of any images or text. It happens to me always. I have just installed a fresh MC19 on my computer and on another computer with completely different hardware but both of them are running Windows 7 X64, I don't know if that should make a difference.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:31 am »

Try playing from within MC.

miketl

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:45 am »

If I am playing from within MC then there is no problem. But I like playing by using Windows Explorer. I like quiting Theater View and then after some time to play another file or files by double clicking on files in Windows Explorer and then I like it to start playing in Theater View. For me that is the most natural way of playing files, everybody have different preferences on using this program that is why you have made many choices that suit to different users. It was working fine on MC18 and it looks to me that something is broken in MC19. JimH I would appreciate if you try replicating on your computer(s).

Thank you

connersw

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:37 am »

Is it then going into Display View?  What is your Display View set to?  Does Display View "work" or is that your black screen?

miketl

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:36 pm »

I never said it goes into Display View. It goes  into "Theater View" with a blank black screen, because in Display View I can have control over the Mini Player if I move the mouse to the top of the screen. If I have the black blank screen there are no controls! The only way to exit this screen is to press "CTRL+4". My "Display View" does work, but "Theater View -> Playing Now" does not work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 06:09:00 pm »

I can replicate this.

You don't need to replicate all of his settings to see it, just the Jump On Play setting.  The key is to switch directly from Mini View to Theater View's Playing Now.  If you don't start from Mini View (Standard, for example) then it works properly.  For me when coming from Mini View, it does it every time.  To replicate:

1. Set Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Jump on Play (audio): Theater View Playing Now.
2. Switch to Mini View (with playback stopped, I guess, that's how I always did it).
3. Play an audio file via Windows Explorer.

Theater View does open, and the song plays, but the display is black (no UI or anything visible at all). You can exit out of Theater View when in this state by hitting ESC twice, just as you could if Theater View was visible (once to get the "Are you sure?" dialog, and again to really exit Theater View).

EDIT: No, it doesn't need to be stopped to replicate. It happens when playback is active too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

miketl

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 06:34:03 pm »

@glynor

Thank you very much for taking the time to replicate this. I knew that it does not happen just on my computers. For the developers of this software, I would appreciate if you could fix this issue, because some users have different preferences over how to use this software and I was accustomed to using this with MC18 and now this way of playing is broken.

Best...

miketl

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 08:17:19 pm »

A question to the developers of MC: are you having plans of fixing this bug with the Theater View?

Thank you

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 08:03:26 am »

I can't seem to reproduce this problem here, I set the Jump on Play and started from Mini View, but Theater View Playing Now shows up just fine.

Can you confirm it still happens with 19.0.136?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

connersw

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 08:30:19 am »

I can confirm it is still happening with 19.0.136.  When I couldn't reproduce it before, I missed the part about Mini View, and I was just starting from Standard View.  Following the steps Glynor outlined, it goes to blank black screen every time. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:35 am »

Well, it does not for me. Works fine every time.
I set MC to Mini View, run a file from explorer, and theater view playing now opens just fine here. There must be something else involved.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 11:50:45 pm »

AMD hardware here.  Tested on two different machines, though they're pretty similar (both AMD, different GPUs though, and both Windows 8.1).

I can test on additional stuff if you want.

Still happens here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 11:58:43 pm »

If it helps, here's a log:
http://glynor.com/files/jriver/JRiver%20Log%202014-06-03%2000-54-34.zip

1. Opened Media Center (the Jump on Play setting was already set as discussed above).
2. Switched to Mini View
3. Played a track.
4. Black-screen Theater View loaded.
5. I exited by Esc, Esc twice (blindly) and then stopped playback and made the log package.

Has my System Info in it if nothing else.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 12:04:40 am »

Tested and can confirm the Black Screen for me as well - nvidia GPU.
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 09:34:32 am »

Next build:
Fixed: Jump on play set to Theater View Playing Now would stall if Mini view was in use.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:03 am »

I wonder why it simply worked for me. My PC must be fast enough to just ignore it, that must be it!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 10:00:53 am »

My PC must be fast enough to just ignore it, that must be it!

That must be it.  Let me overclock a little more and test again :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up