INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream Music To A Yamaha RX-A1000 Aventage  (Read 4834 times)

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
Stream Music To A Yamaha RX-A1000 Aventage
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:28:02 am »

Hi,

Hoping that someone else here is using the Yamaha RX Aventage Series Amp.
I presently stream Flac Files to my Receiver using J River via the network.
On screen the GUI for the Yamaha shows the embedded Cover Art playing which is
displaying terrible. Blurred & Jagged  when the Artwork on the PC is crisp and sharp.
I don't think that J River is the issue but have messed around with various settings to try to get the
cover art to display properly. As I said I think the problem lies with a setting in the Amp.
Hoping someone else has the same combination so that I can get some guidance or advise on where
to perhaps look.

Thanks for any suggestions

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stream Music To A Yamaha RX-A1000 Aventage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:56:48 am »

^

I have a Yamaha RX-A820 but I suppose your RX-A1000 could be rather similar..

To be ironical, you should really be lucky that the Yamaha displays meta data or album art at all. In my experience a lot of receivers are really bad at implementing this part of the specification. So getting something at all is quite a cause for celebration  :P

However, putting aside the irony, the problem is as follows: The UPnP specification says that the server may "offer" album art in various sizes/resolutions (basically "small", "medium", "large"), and it says that the renderer may choose whichever of those offered image sizes it wants to download.

Now MC is a very good server implementation and so it does indeed offer several image sizes (at least "small" and "large"). But the Yamaha (and many other renderers) are really bad renderer implementations, and instead of checking for multiple offers and choosing the most suitable size, it downloads the first offered image. And since MC offers "small" before "large" the Yamaha therefore downloads the "small" image..

In theory MC could be reprogrammed to offer "large" before "small". And in the case of the Yamaha, that might be sufficient to trick it into showing the large image. But the problem is that many renderers either don't expect to see multiple offers at all, and/or expect the first (or only) offer to be a small image. And indeed many renderers cannot scale or display images above a certain size. So if MC would be reprogrammed to offer "large" before "small" it might fix the Yamaha, but would certainly break other renderers.

So this is not something you can blame MC for. You should rather complain to Yamaha (and indeed all other render manufacturers) about this. Most likely they will not patch their existing products, but there is at least a chance that when the time comes for you to buy a new renderer they may have fixed it in their latest models.

Personally I get really irritated about renderer manufacturers because their marketing departments plaster stickers like "DLNA Certified" all over their products, but their technical departments seem not to have read or understood the DLNA Certification Guideline, and certainly have not implemented it in their products.

{ an alternative suggestion: if your PC has an HDMI out, you could hardwire the PC to the Yamaha, and a) get the full MC display, and b) get better general control of the playing experience.. }

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:46:28 am »

Thanks for the response Andrew, I must agree that I did not think the problem was JRiver but rather
Yamaha....but after many hours of trying to trouble shoot the problem just posted hoping that someone
else might have some input as to how to get around what is obviously an Amp Issue.
However value your taking the time to respond and educate not only myself
but others who might have issues along the same lines.....

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:22:52 pm »

I have a Denon 4806CI and finally gave up trying to get a quality experience using DLNA.
Dropped in an optical connection to the server and use JRemote on a iPad mini for full control and don't need to have the TV on to listen to just music. With a 65" plasma that is a lot of power. Add roomie remote to automate everything and every one in the house can use it.

The added advantage is I can stream DTS and DD tracks ripped from my music DVD's
My receiver could only handle 2ch over DlNA.

Using spidifier I just convert the file and drop it in the MC library and voila 5.1 music from live DVD's

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 08:26:33 am »

... use JRemote on a iPad mini for full control and don't need to have the TV on to listen to just music. With a 65" plasma that is a lot of power.

Just so you know: your statement is equally applicable to the UPnP scenario as well as all other push scenarios..

When MC is commanded to push music to an A/V receiver there is never a need to have the TV turned on. This applies regardless of whether the stream is pushed over UPnP, USB, HDMI, SPDIF, TosLink, or Analog connections.

But obviously if you are using UPnP pull then you do need the TV to be turned on so you can see and browse the server's Content Directory...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:05:07 pm »

Andrew,

Yep, fully aware, and have been using UPnP on MC from the very, very early days. (and many other products over time)
As soon as I use a control point on another device (iPad for example), it is by far a better solution to use JRemote with all its abilities that allows significantly more control than any control point app I've tried.

I could also use the built in control point on my Denon, but that had issues with Double Byte character support. (see very old thread on that)
Although DLNA is still active on my network, with various servers, control points and renderers, it barely gets used. All my zones from MC are there in DLNA.

For other custom controls (1 click playlists for Dining Room background music) I utilize MCWS and have "http" commands assigned to buttons in Roomie Remote that pushes predefined playlists to a predefined zone that is digital, HDMI, analogue or DLNA.

Thanks for clarifying the point though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up