Networks and Remotes > Remotes

eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!

<< < (3/121) > >>

astromo:

--- Quote from: marko on May 23, 2014, 01:29:53 am ---Will there be a trial period built in?

--- End quote ---

Interesting to read what's involved with trials from Soul_Rvr911.

From my observation most free trials on Playstore are limited in some way and purchase gives the user access to the full feature set.

Would that work?

Ekpen:

--- Quote from: marko on May 23, 2014, 01:29:53 am ---Will there be a trial period built in?

--- End quote ---

Greetings:

Your app is for JRiver and JRiver only. I will like to support your efforts.  but here is my suggestion. set up a Paypal acount for members to donate.  I will. then make your app free or let us sideload it, just as we do with Gizmo.
Note: Interact forum members do appreciate your efforts and time you put in to this app.  
This is my own suggestion, but you are free to charge would be users.

George.

Soul_Rvr911:

--- Quote from: jmone on May 31, 2014, 05:08:24 pm ---Regarding Local Content, one feature I would like to expand on from Gizmo is it's ability to Cache the playing now content to provide continuous play when the connection drops out ---> full offline playback.  It would be good if this feature allowed you to send content to the cache (without the need to start playback) that was then used for playback.  Basically the ability to sync selected items.

--- End quote ---
eos doesn't do caching of content like Gizmo; it will stream content, but it won't be stored on your device. This might be something I can implement in the future, but it won't be present in the initial release. If this is a feature that you use frequently I wouldn't suggest purchasing eos until I have a concrete plan for implementing it, since to be honest it doesn't rank highly on my list of priorities.

--- Quote from: astromo on June 01, 2014, 03:27:13 am ---From my observation most free trials on Playstore are limited in some way and purchase gives the user access to the full feature set.

Would that work?

--- End quote ---
I believe that this sort of trial runs into the same issue that time expiry free trials encounter - apparently, it's not very difficult to reverse engineer an APK and circumvent license checks. There are developers that have worked around this by having 2 separate apps in the store - a limited version that doesn't have the code for the features, and a full version that the user can "upgrade" to, but that's actually installed alongside the trial.

--- Quote from: Ekpen on June 01, 2014, 10:31:55 am ---Your app is for JRiver and JRiver only. I will like to support your efforts.  but here is my suggestion. set up a Paypal acount for members to donate.  I will. then make your app free or let us sideload it, just as we do with Gizmo.
Note: Interact forum members do appreciate your efforts and time you put in to this app. 
This is my own suggestion, but you are free to charge would be users.

George.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for your suggestion George. You are correct - my app is for JRiver and JRiver only. However, I am in no way affiliated with JRiver, and I put a lot of effort into developing eos. For as many generous users like you who would donate if given the choice, there are also users out there who would not. The only way I can guarantee some return is to charge up front.

Soul_Rvr911:
At the same time, I too am a consumer, and I understand everyone's concerns. The software market is new, and consumer's expectations in this market are different. It's difficult to justify paying for software you've never used when you only have a few screenshots to look at. And it's even more difficult to justify when there's already an app that's freely available.

When I started writing eos for BB10, my goal was to make a remote app with a slick user interface. I installed Gizmo on my device, but found that BB10's Android runtime support was lackluster, and that Gizmo's UI felt "clunky" (no offense meant to JRiver!). Since I had plenty of experience writing BB10 apps, I decided to write my own. I added features that I found useful, and designed the app in a way that - to me, at least - felt fluid.

My goal with eos for Android was a little different. I had no experience writing Android software, so I wanted to challenge myself and build something on a new platform. I'm not trying to replicate Gizmo, nor am I trying to cover every possible use case. I'm trying to bring the same experience that people have enjoyed on BB10 to Android, as well as sharpen my development skills.

astromo:

--- Quote from: Soul_Rvr911 on June 01, 2014, 09:08:38 pm ---I believe that this sort of trial runs into the same issue that time expiry free trials encounter - apparently, it's not very difficult to reverse engineer an APK and circumvent license checks. There are developers that have worked around this by having 2 separate apps in the store - a limited version that doesn't have the code for the features, and a full version that the user can "upgrade" to, but that's actually installed alongside the trial.
--- End quote ---

Yep - that's what I was thinking of. Implementation will be specific to the software. It takes some thought to come up with the right trial package so that a user gets a good taste of what the software can do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version