Networks and Remotes > Remotes

eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!

<< < (4/121) > >>

marko:
Thanks for mentioning the 'no cache' thing. Sadly, that means I'm out.

99.99% of my usage is over 3G, and before JRiver introduced the cache to Gizmo, my experience was regularly quite awful. Be sure to give this a healthy bump if you ever add a cache level.

Regards,
-marko

InflatableMouse:
Good thing you asked, I assumed that's how it was working.

Honestly that means I'm out too, as I never use Gizmo at home.

Soul_Rvr911:

--- Quote from: astromo on June 02, 2014, 12:29:24 am ---Implementation will be specific to the software. It takes some thought to come up with the right trial package so that a user gets a good taste of what the software can do.

--- End quote ---

I've given more thought to this, and I've come up with a working solution for a "trial" version of eos. I'll post a second version of the app to the store that allows unrestricted access to browse their media library, but with all of the playback modification functionality disabled. You'll still be able to click on buttons and interact with the app just like the paid version, but none of the actions you take will have any effect. For example, when you press on a track in an attempt to play it, instead of making the request to the server to start playback a toast will appear informing you that the action will only work in the paid version. The same goes for things like changing repeat mode, updating file information, setting a sleep timer, or attempting to link zones or change volumes. The appropriate dialogs will appear, but when you hit save a toast will appear instead of performing the action. This will give you a feel for how the app is laid out and what functionality exists.

The free version is almost exactly the same code, just with the action logic replaced by toast messages. The one thing that will still work is the theater view remote.

The free app will be completely separate, and it won't be possible to migrate settings from the free version to the paid version. So you can configure all of your servers in the free app, but keep in mind you'll have to run through that process again if you decide to purchase.

How does that sound?

astromo:

--- Quote from: Soul_Rvr911 on June 10, 2014, 11:09:23 pm ---I've given more thought to this, and I've come up with a working solution for a "trial" version of eos. I'll post a second version of the app to the store that allows unrestricted access to browse their media library, but with all of the playback modification functionality disabled. You'll still be able to click on buttons and interact with the app just like the paid version, but none of the actions you take will have any effect. For example, when you press on a track in an attempt to play it, instead of making the request to the server to start playback a toast will appear informing you that the action will only work in the paid version. The same goes for things like changing repeat mode, updating file information, setting a sleep timer, or attempting to link zones or change volumes. The appropriate dialogs will appear, but when you hit save a toast will appear instead of performing the action. This will give you a feel for how the app is laid out and what functionality exists.

The free version is almost exactly the same code, just with the action logic replaced by toast messages. The one thing that will still work is the theater view remote.

The free app will be completely separate, and it won't be possible to migrate settings from the free version to the paid version. So you can configure all of your servers in the free app, but keep in mind you'll have to run through that process again if you decide to purchase.

How does that sound?

--- End quote ---

That's one way of doing it. I think the main thing is that you're opening the door by a fraction, so well done. If people like what they see, you'll get your answer when the app is placed in the cart and wheeled to the check out.

randycw:
I have been using Eos on my Blackberry for several months -- I really like being able to link zones together and quickly manage the volumes of each zone.

I have also been fiddling with Eos on a couple of Android Nexus tablets.  For me I much prefer it of Gizmo.  The interface is a bit more intuitive for my family.  The zone linking is wonderful.  The immediate volume control is excellent.

The way my setup works, I use Eos or Gizmo on tablets mounted magnetically to walls throughout my house.  These tablets act as zone controllers for the area they are mounted in.  In this setting I find Eos to be the superior solution.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version