Networks and Remotes > Remotes

eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!

<< < (10/121) > >>

AoXoMoXoA:
Trying the Free Version:

Cannot switch Zones, eos appears unresponsive to zone change attempts.

Cannot open Playing Now as this causes eos to crash.

randycw:

--- Quote from: jmone on June 22, 2014, 04:40:25 am ---- crash when trying to play a web stream from the library - eg http://shoutmedia.abc.net.au:10424/ (note: these play fine in Gizmo)
- Video: (these could be a MC bug and I've summit this to the JR Folk), Videos do not finishing playing (stall on the last frame) and seeking does not work.  Also you don't have the correct duration shown.
- View is Empty:  I have added a view at the top level called (Radio and TV Stations - see pic) and while I can enter this view it appears empty in eos, yet similar entries under playlist is fine.
- Navigation:  This could be just me getting used to eos vs Gizmo, but I find:
  + Andriod Back button exists eos and does not take you "back"
  + When drilling down I prefer to see each category and select it (aka Gizmo), where in eos it selects and displays the contents of the first of each sub category.  You have to go the the Draw each time to change your selection.

It may be a confusion on my part but when speaking in the intercom thread about being able to push one steam to multiple tablets at once,

.... though I don't see each eos instance as a zone.

Looks good so far!
Thanks
Nathan

--- End quote ---

The web stream playing has been working quite well for me.  I have 6 "stations" that I stream and have not had Eos crash, although MC does hang on me occasionally with these -- generally give it 3-5 minutes and it comes back, otherwise a restart is in order.  BTW, MC does this whether using the PC, Gizmo, or Eos -- and is actually worse for me with Gizmo.

Video works fine for me as well -- no crashes.  Although the seek type functionality, Gizmo is better.  JRiver seems to be using their own video playback engine within Gizmo, and Eos is using the Android engine and the Android one has acknowledged know issues.

Navigation -- some of this may actually be my fault.  I use Eos on my Blackberry (where Soul_Rvr911) originally developed it.  The way the Blackberry navigates around is more intuitive to me and my family.  We found the Android - Gizmo navigation to be problematic -- like the exiting out of an app when you merely meant to go back.  Thus I pushed hard int he Alpha/Beta testing to have Eos for Android behave more like Eos for BlackBerry.  I thought Soul_Rvr911 had created a nice balance between the two, but perhaps not and it will only be pleasing to me.  Sure hope not for his sake.

Zone linking -- that I have brought up in the Intercom thread.  I hope I have not mislead you on this one.  It might be a difference in how our homes/MC are setup.  It might be we simply mean different things when talking of zones.
I have multiple zones setup in MC.  I then have tablets that control those zones.  MC has Master bedroom, daughter's room, son's room, Living room, kitchen, garage, patio, theater, basement, and backyard.  I have tablets magnetized tot he walls in the Master, Daughter, Son, Living room, Kitchen, and basement.
If I start Eos from the tablet in the Master bedroom, I can initially pick a zone I'd like to control (which in this example would usually be the Master bedroom).  Or I can pick another zone to control and begin playback.  Gizmo can do those two things as well.  What Eos does that I REALLY like and find useful, and what I was trying to point out in the other thread, is zone linking.  I like linking the living room and kitchen zones and playing a playlist there.  Or in the mornings, I like linking the kid's zones and starting a web stream of morning science lecture -- it interrupts whatever it was they where listening to and starts what I want them to listen to.

randycw:
Here are a few features I appreciate in Eos:

Zone linking -- described a bit in my previous post.

Volume Control -- or the volume "pop out" on the Playing Now screen.  On Gizmo there is no fast way to adjust the volume -- just use the tablets volume rocker and adjust up or down at roughly 10%/second.  That works in most instances, but Eos lets me go from 95% down to 5% instantly -- great for taking a phone call.  Or how about controlling the volume in another zone when multiple zones are running?  In Gizmo this is quite tedious, in Eos just go to the Zones screen and move the slider of the zone you want changed -- Done.

SleepTimer  -- if Gizmo has this I am not aware of it.  This little feature is great for sending the kid's off to sleep.  They can listen to an audio book for awhile and the Eos stops playback at a set time.  Love it!  Now it just needs to implement a Awake Timer, where Eos will start playback at a set hour -- a zone controlled alarm clock if you will.

Split Screen view  -- On my tablet Eos will split the Playing Now screen; the upper portion is the album art, track rating, and volume for the current track, and the lower portion is the playlist.  FANTASTIC!

Soul_Rvr911:
Thanks for your support guys! I hope the full version of eos lives up to your expectations.

I've taken a look at the crashes that have been reported so far, and I think I've fixed all 3. I just submitted v1.0.1 of both the free and paid apps, which should be available in the next few hours.

--- Quote from: J-a-k-e on June 22, 2014, 04:16:08 am ---I believe there is a bug where the app will crash if you try to switch to playing now if you don't have anything loaded. Although I haven't managed to reproduce this as I can't see how to clear playing now once items are loaded.

--- End quote ---

This crash was caused by the menu being requested before the main content view was available. I had code to update some of the status labels when the menu is created, but the labels weren't available so the app crashed.

You're right, at present there's no easy way to clear the entire playlist from eos. You can press "Edit Playlist..." and swipe the items away one by one, but there's no clear function. I've never found use for clear myself, since you can replace the entire playlist at any time by selecting something else and hitting Play.

--- Quote from: jmone on June 22, 2014, 04:40:25 am ---- crash when trying to play a web stream from the library - eg http://shoutmedia.abc.net.au:10424/ (note: these play fine in Gizmo)

Other things:
- Video: (these could be a MC bug and I've summit this to the JR Folk), Videos do not finishing playing (stall on the last frame) and seeking does not work.  Also you don't have the correct duration shown.
- View is Empty:  I have added a view at the top level called (Radio and TV Stations - see pic) and while I can enter this view it appears empty in eos, yet similar entries under playlist is fine.
- Navigation:  This could be just me getting used to eos vs Gizmo, but I find:
  + Andriod Back button exists eos and does not take you "back"
  + When drilling down I prefer to see each category and select it (aka Gizmo), where in eos it selects and displays the contents of the first of each sub category.  You have to go the the Draw each time to change your selection.

It may be a confusion on my part but when speaking in the intercom thread about being able to push one steam to multiple tablets at once,

.... though I don't see each eos instance as a zone.

Looks good so far!
Thanks
Nathan

--- End quote ---

Nathan, the crash you mention has also been fixed. When playing streams, the duration must not be available but eos tries parsing it into a number anyway, causing a crash.

The video playback issues you mentioned: are you trying to stream the video to your device? Earlier in the thread I mentioned some limitations around device playback of video, so if that's the case it would explain the duration and seek issues you're seeing.

In general, the back button should do as you'd expect until you get to the "homescreen" of eos, which is the screen where you can access the navigation drawer. Hitting back at that point will exit the app. There is, however, a known issue affecting Android 4.4.2: as an example, if you're on the Playing Now page and open Zones, then open Playing Now from the Zones page, hitting back is supposed to take you back to Zones. Instead, though, it unexpectedly exits the app. When you launch the app again, you're brought back to Zones. This is an Android platform bug that only impacted 4.4.2 and has been fixed in 4.4.3.

The category drop down is a design decision I made for eos. I found it more appealing to show a list of content instead of a category list, even though it does end up adding one extra "click" over Gizmo when you want to change categories - it takes one click to open the dropdown, and a second to pick a new category. As you mentioned, it'll be an adjustment when going from Gizmo to eos.

I believe there has been a misunderstanding about zone linking. eos instances are not MC Zones, so you can't link them as such. What you can do is manage Zone links (i.e. - link and unlink MC Zones) from eos' Zones page.

Ninja edit: I just noticed Randy has already covered most of these points - many thanks!

Cheers!

-L

Soul_Rvr911:

--- Quote from: AoXoMoXoA on June 22, 2014, 09:19:50 am ---Trying the Free Version:

Cannot switch Zones, eos appears unresponsive to zone change attempts.

Cannot open Playing Now as this causes eos to crash.

--- End quote ---

Zone switching is unavailable in the free version.

I just submitted a fix for the Playing Now crash in both the free and paid versions. Version 1.0.1 should be available in a few hours!

Cheers!

-L

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version