Networks and Remotes > Remotes

eos, a remote for JRiver - now for Android!

<< < (2/121) > >>

connersw:

--- Quote from: Soul_Rvr911 on May 21, 2014, 08:34:39 pm ---
* Device playback, including transcoding options
--- End quote ---

What are the transcoding options? Does it playback lossless audio (at least 16/44.1)?  What about for video?

Soul_Rvr911:

--- Quote from: shrike645 on May 22, 2014, 09:50:20 am ---Eos on BB10 will play back your media stored from any server you have JRiver running on the local device. It will also play back media stored on your BB10 phone. Pull down settings and there is a button for switch to device media.

Yes it plays back video (from a server not stored on the device) on the device and of course acts as a remote control for video too.

Hal

--- End quote ---

Hal is right on the money! And if you want to stream media from your library server to your device, go to the Zones page select the Device zone.

--- Quote from: InflatableMouse on May 22, 2014, 12:48:06 am ---Does it allow tagging of rating?

--- End quote ---

Local playback doesn't allow tagging the rating. Each media format uses a different rating tag format, and the tagging library I've used doesn't make it easy to support reading/writing the rating tag across all of the supported file formats.

--- Quote from: connersw on May 22, 2014, 11:32:22 am ---What are the transcoding options? Does it playback lossless audio (at least 16/44.1)?  What about for video?

--- End quote ---

The transcoding options for Audio are "Off" (i.e. - stream the file directly from the server, without doing any transcoding), and 3 MP3 options: "Low", "Medium", or "High" bandwidth.

For Video, your options are "Low", "Medium", and "High". From what I understand, Android's video codec support is fairly limited. I was thinking about adding an option for "Off" here as well, but I don't think it would work in the majority of cases. There isn't much documentation available on MC's supported Conversion options; I was working from this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67837.0.

While we're on the topic of Video streaming, I should note that there are severe limitations to Android's support for streaming video (HTTP Live Streaming, or HLS). Do a quick Google search for "android hls" and you'll find numerous platform defects, articles, and blog entries outlining how bad it really is. Unfortunately, this means that while streaming video to your device is eos there is no duration information available, and seeking does not work.

I'm not sure how the folks at JRiver implemented video streaming in Gizmo, but it is based on HLS and works perfectly, providing both seeking and video duration. I'd wager they used their vast media knowledge to write their own HLS implementation. My only option would be to license a 3rd party library (like Adobe Primetime) for use in my app, the cost of which would likely far exceed any revenue I'll see from selling eos in the Play store.

That being said, streaming Audio to your Android device works very well. The main reason that I made the minimum supported API level so high was so that I could support gapless playback!

Cheers!

-L

marko:
Will there be a trial period built in?

Soul_Rvr911:

--- Quote from: marko on May 23, 2014, 01:29:53 am ---Will there be a trial period built in?

--- End quote ---
I've been looking into the support offered by Google Play for trial periods. It appears to be nonexistent, unless the app is subscription based. There seem to be a few practices mentioned frequently across the internet, however all but one are easily circumventable: calling back to my own licensing server. Since I have no interest in writing a license server - or, for that matter, having eos make requests to any server other than JRiver's access key server and your media server(s) - I don't think a trial period is likely. (Note: Google Play does offer a 15 minute refund period for any purchased apps, although I admit this really isn't much time!)

Over the past few days I've fixed a number of bugs and also implemented a few new features, including the display of the active zone and server name in the title bar, and multiple server support! eos is almost ready; I'm hoping to have the app available in Google Play in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!

-L

jmone:
Looking forward to trying it out.

Regarding Local Content, one feature I would like to expand on from Gizmo is it's ability to Cache the playing now content to provide continuous play when the connection drops out ---> full offline playback.  It would be good if this feature allowed you to send content to the cache (without the need to start playback) that was then used for playback.  Basically the ability to sync selected items.

Thanks
Nathan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version