INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP output level..  (Read 2911 times)

BPM

UPnP output level..
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:43 am »

Hi! First post here.. Excuse my English (Iīm Swedish...)

Iīve been using foobar to stream music through my wifi-network to a WD TV Live Gen 3 media player. Worked great, but looks boring.. I bought JRiver since Iīd heard that I could do the same thing with that software but with a much nicer interface.

Well, Iīm happy with JRiver and the uPnP streaming works flawlessly, but why is the output level so low? With foobar the level is similar to that of other sources that are connected to my Denon receiver, but with JRiver the output level is about 10db:s lower (the same soundpressure is achieved with my receivers volume control set to -30dB with foobar and -21dB with JRiver..and thatīs a big difference..).

I think that this is a bit strange, since uPnP is supposed to bypass all processing of the signal inside the computer. It seems to be correct, since the volume control and so on doesīnt work when I use wifi but why is my signal so low then? It should be the same as with foobar, shouldīnt it?

Not a big problem for me, but I have kids and if I play some music with JRiver and adjust the volume to fit (turning it up) it gets unbarebly loud when one of the kids switch to tv sound and the sound pressure level is 10dB:s higher than what I used for music..

Whatīs the problem? Is there some setting somewhere that I can use to change this and get the correct output level?

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: uPnP output level..
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:55 am »

Welcome to the forum!
Have you tried [Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Audio > Advanced] to check if volume leveling is turned on?  If it is, try turning it off and check if it's louder. 
Adam Thompson, JRiver

BPM

Re: uPnP output level..and other questions.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:56:32 am »

Thanks! That solved it.. I had volume levelling and stereo downmix checked, and since I removed it the level equals that of foobar.
I know that it should be no difference, but I still think JRiver sounds better.. Tighter bass (I have eight subwoofers, so I need the extra control..)..

More questions..
In foobar, when I start an album it plays until the end. In JRiver it only plays one song..over and over again. If I choose the first track in an album and select "play wd tv live" it never skips to song nr 2 and so on.. Like it is on repeat. How can I make it play an entire album?

I also need to know if I can see the folders in my music folder instead of artists, but still with the nice covers. I have a lot ot VA collections, some with over a thousand songs, and when JRiver displays every single artist it becomes a bit messy..

Thanks in advance!

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: UPnP output level..
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:19:02 am »

So when you go to "Playing Now", select your device, go back to audio, select an album and play a song, it keeps looping it?  I'm not sure why it would do that.  Are you sure you have repeat turned off?  It's in the upper right corner.  (look at the attached image)

As for the file organization, you'll find that it is one of Media Center's strong points.  I'm not an expert at it, but if you look around the forum a bit you can find some great resources showing how to tag and organize your media in MC.  This search box works great for finding information.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

ragman70

• Recent member
Re: UPnP output level..
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »

Have the samoe problem, but the approch doesn't work in my setting.
Using a audiophil dlna associated to my streamer.

Audio: Specified otput format
PCM 24 bit
Sample rate same as source

nothing selected within dsp studio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up