INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 8 - Release Date???  (Read 1109 times)

Fence Sitter

Version 8 - Release Date???
« on: February 14, 2002, 06:19:56 pm »

Greetings - Any idea when the official Version 8 will be released, as I see there still appears to be quite a number of problems with the Beta version?  Keep up the good work.

Regards - Fence Sitter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Version 8 - Release Date???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 01:14:34 am »

sometime this year
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 04:37:39 am »

On some systems, 8 has problems.

On others, it doesn't.

Which will yours be?

Only a download will find out.

SeanC

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2002, 07:24:09 am »

MJ isn't like other software - the developers are passionate, attentive to their customers, highly responsive and they move at lightning speed.  One of the consequences of such rapid development is that minor bugs and nits sometimes appear in releases made available to customers.  

For my money, MJ is the best darn music tool out there - and I am a paid licensee of MusicMatch and several other audio packages.  I prefer to participate in the beta program and live with minor bugs, largely because any issues that come up are generally fixed in a day or two (they release daily builds for pete's sake!).

If you are only interested in bug-free versions, I believe MJ v7.2 is still available for download, and it is rock-solid, although it doesn't have the new whiz-bang features that the v8 beta has.  If you buy the v7.2 version now, your license will allow you to use v8 as well...

Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2002, 09:26:00 am »

"Fence Sitter"

Your name suggest you're waiting to purchase.....Although I would say that "bug free" and "rock solid" is a bit of a stretch, I'd buy the released version (7). I believe you can then upgrade to v8 at no cost.  If you're waiting for a particular feature of v8 before you buy, I'd be interested in what that would be.  For me, it would be "Replay Gain".  I have a v6 license, so I'll have to pay for v8, but I'm not sure why anybody would buy before its production release (since you can try it for free).  Since nobody from JRiver is responding with a date, I'd bet it will be quite a while for a production release of v8. Go ahead and buy version 7.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2002, 09:30:59 am »

Maybe a note of caution - if you buy 7 you can upgrade to 8.0 for free. We don't know about further upgrades.

If you're about to buy I'd go with 8 (it seems to be a good player for the most part - depending upon what you do / your configuration etc.).

I think an 8 license may get you more as future 8.x versions appear - but as I said we have not had official word from JimH....
Namaste,
John

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2002, 10:52:13 am »

No release date has been set.  This is because, when we set a date and don't make it, we're reminded daily.  Next Page

You'll have a good idea when the beta moves to the download page because that will mean we think it is stable.  After that it should be 2 to 4 weeks.

The builds now are good.  Once in a while we do something we shouldn't have and the build isn't right, but these generally get fixed the next day.  If you save each build, you can always roll back one.

Between 7.2 and 8.0, I'd recommend 8.0 now.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2002, 10:59:50 am »

Badger> I may have misinterpreted your post, but MJ8 currently does have Replay Gain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up