INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 with touch control on tablet pc under win8.1  (Read 3936 times)

mp48

• Recent member
MC19 with touch control on tablet pc under win8.1
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:57:34 am »

I am working with MC19 as media server on a htpc with win7 and use my notebook with win7 for remote control and everything is fine. Now I want to replace the notebook (which is big and havy) with an 8 inch tablet pc with win8.1 and touch control. I am wondering if MC19 is running under win8.1 and is touch control easily possible (full touch control instead of mouse control) or is anything special to be considered?? ( I know the remote control with gizmo under android and are happy with that operation but want to stay with windows and have the same functionality).
I would be happy to hear soon some answers.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC19 with touch control on tablet pc under win8.1
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:48:17 am »

You could read about Remotes on the wiki.  Gizmo on Android would work.  Tremote on Windows.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:45:56 am »

I have used Tremote (never knew it had a name :)) for years, but you still need to use the same interfaces as you used before. I have tried what you want, and Standard View doesn't work well with touch. You say you like Gizmo? It's great for remote control. Have you thought of BlueStacks? It will let you run Android apps on your PC. Sure slower than a fast android tablet, but functional.

Don

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:08:34 am »

Have you thought of BlueStacks? It will let you run Android apps on your PC. Sure slower than a fast android tablet, but functional.

Don

Ah! This is very interesting; so I could use J-Remote for Android on a tablet PC?
Great news, thanks. ;)

mp48

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:15:13 am »

Thank you for the fast response. When I understand your answers right, a touch control under windows 8.1 is not really possible (at the moment). I will try it with the bluestacks. Has somebody already some experiences with it on a windows tablet?? I intend to buy a Toshiba/Acer or Asus 8 inch tablet pc. They all have an Intel Atom Z3740 quad-processor. Will it be fast enough??
Final question, will JRiver upgrade the MC 19 in near future for full touch control??
Thank you for your patience with a newcomer in the forum.

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:09:14 am »

I am using a Windows 8.1 tablet as the remote for JRiver running on an HTPC. The way I set this up is:

• Installed JRiver on the Windows 8.1 Pro machine
    Run JRiver on the Windows 8.1 machine and loaded the remote library (the one of the HTPC)
    Configure library sync, etc.
    When running JRiver on the Windows 8 tablet, I have it in Theater View and it works very well with touch, no issue at all.

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:19:11 am »

Ah! This is very interesting; so I could use J-Remote for Android on a tablet PC?

JRemote is iOS (Apple) based; it does not run on Android. You would need to use Gizmo.

In my opinion, MC is not optimized for touch.  Standard View is a bit too finicky.  Theater View Obsidian Touchscreen skin works; however, you then loose the ability to seek.  I do not know if a near future release will have full touch control, but it would be nice if it did.  More screens are headed that way. 

Atom processors can run MC; they are just a bit laggy.  I can play ROSQ Video, and the only issue I have trouble with is DSD audio playback and some up-sampling stuttering.  However, since you will just be using it as a remote, all the processing will be done on the HTPC so it should not be an issue.  The responsiveness will be the only issue, but I'm running a dual core with a smaller cache so the Z3740 may be a bit more zippy.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:09 pm »

I am using an ACER W510 Win 8.1 tablet as my media center (JRiver) for audio only:

-agree that the standard GUI is too detailed for true touch; would be great to have Rolodex letter-groups available in panes though
-all critical functions work great, incl. DFF, high bitrate files, VST effects

However, during playback, MC cannot keep the tablet from going to sleep; I must set plugged-in power options to Sleep=Never. Sleep is prevented on all 3 of my other Win 8.1 desktops.

I think the code to prevent sleep during such-n-such a thread/operation on Tablet is different from the code used for desktops.

Could JRiver team look into this perhaps?
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up