INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to enable Media Server to run in the background  (Read 3685 times)

Chazworth

• Recent member
How to enable Media Server to run in the background
« on: June 02, 2014, 02:54:12 pm »

I am a brand new OS X owner (less than one week), with no previous experience in OS X, but quite a bit with Windows.  With JRiver in Windows, the Media Server would start when the PC was booted and would run in the background, even if JRiver was closed. 

With the JRiver Mac version, it looks to me like the Media Server closes when the JRiver app is closed.  Due to this behavior, I am not able to use my tablet (and Gizmo) to reliably connect to my music.  If the JRiver app is closed when I attempt to connect, then no connection (and no music  :-[).

Am I understanding the OS X and JRiver behavior correctly?  How do others ensure that the Media Server is running at all times that the Mac is turned on?

Thanks.

Charlie 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to enable Media Server to run in the background
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »

Look under MC Options in the Startup section.

Chazworth

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »

You are referring to MC (Mac) option at Tools>Options>Startup?  If so, I don't see any options to run Media Server on startup (MC version 19.0.131).

In Windows, there is an option "Run on Windows startup:", and you can select Media Server or other options.  I don't see a similar option in MC (Mac).

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:26:55 pm »

When you right-click on the icon in the Dock, you'll find the option Open at Login. Also, under System Preferences > Accounts > Users > Login Items. Is that the option you're referring to?

Chazworth

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:38:06 pm »

I had previously discovered both of those items, and they do help.  Let me put my question another way.  In Windows, MC and Media Server run somewhat independently.  So, I can have Media Server run at startup, and continue to run in the background.  When I am at my computer, I can then launch MC and play some music.  If I choose to close MC, the Media Server continues to run.

In OS X, Media Server and MC seem to be "combined", in that when I close MC, Media Server also closes.  I assume that other users simply have MC running all the time?  That should work OK for me, but it is tempting to close MC after using it, and thereby closing Media Server.

Does OS X (Or JRiver) allow for Media Server to run in the background, distinct from MC?

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:58:55 pm »

Yes, this would be a good feature to add.  Most Mac apps that run "hidden" usually put their app in the menubar at the top and would add an option in the preferences from the app for the user to choose whether the app show in the dock, or the menubar, or both.  I don't know how this would be done with the current version of MC for the Mac because it seems like the app is still a Windows app inside a Mac skin.  So I'm presuming it's going to take a bit of time before MC Mac sheds its Windows code so that it looks similar and provides the same options as the other Mac apps do. 

But that's an outside perspective on the development.  I don't know exactly when the development will be focused on the UI.  I do not wish to imply that it's not a priority as I know a lot of work and effort has been put into the Mac version of MC and I sincerely appreciate it.  Really.  With JRemote, I couldn't be more grateful of the JRiver crew. 

Chazworth

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 07:28:15 pm »

I see that with version 19.0.144 that Media Server can now run in the background and be configured to start with the Mac.  Thank you!  Works great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up