INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone heard of IAStorDataMgrSvc?  (Read 2788 times)

Starchild1

• Recent member
Anyone heard of IAStorDataMgrSvc?
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:21:46 pm »

I found that this process was running in the background and eating up a tremendous amount of ram and contributing to stutter problems in JRiver (I think).   I went into task manager and disabled the process in startup.  Memory usage has dropped from 50% to 18%.  If you're having stutter problems you might want to investigate your memory usage. So far, JRiver is running very well but I'm still getting intermittent stutter which will require further experimentation with the dlna configuration.  However, JRiver running much faster.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and report back in tomorrow.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Anyone heard of IAStorDataMgrSvc?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:44:52 pm »

It's part of Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology.

Look around the web and you'll find comments like this:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/16881
... one of many that I found.

glynor helped me out with a problem that I had:
Advice from glynor - Look at Point 5

And as part of the journey I ended up rebuilding my machine. I blew away any RAID related aspects and ended up going for plain vanilla AHCI. I also applied this piece of sound guidance:
More advice from glynor regarding SSDs - read the follow on comments

I'm not suggesting that you go straight ahead and melt down your unit. I just wanted to point out that it appears to me that a lot of supposed bolt on performance enhancers simply don't (... enhance performance). If your work around is effective then great. Sure beats a rebuild, however you may want to revisit your base system design philosophy at your next upgrade and system build/rebuild in the future.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:45:53 am »

Thanks for the information.  I'll digest over the next few days as I continue to try to resolve my stuttering issues.  If I haven't found a solution by the weekend, I'm going to reinstall MC18 and see what happens.

Mike

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:21:02 am »

Are you running on an intel-based motherboard and using the on-board chipset raid functions?

if YES and you need to manage your raid sets from windows, you need the intel rapid stor to manage the raid sets.

if YES and you do NOT need to manage your raid sets from windows, you can kill it off.  This will restrict you to managing your raid sets from the BIOS (pre boot) environment ONLY.

if you are NOT using raid on an intel chipset, you can kill off the rapid stor software.

If all you want/need are the latest intel drivers for disk/ACHI, they can be separated from the RapidStor install program pretty easily.  Use something like 7Zip to open up the RapidStor installer, browse around until you find the driver.cab, extract that to a temp directory, then using 7Zip again, pull the drivers out of the cab itself.  Now install the drivers in the usual windows way via Device Manager.

Also, you should check to make sure that your chipset INFs are up to date.  Intel releases updates to its chipset software from time to time. It does no harm to reinstall the chipset drivers, the installer is smart enough to ID your machines chipset and update things.

Intel has a online java-based driver checker that will advise you of any updates for your in-board Intel devices.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/

Intel doesn't have persistent web links for the latest driver versions.  They have you jump through hoops, identifying your mobo product then they tell you what drivers are suitable.

This link will get you started

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

I usually pick out a mobo with the latest Intel chipset and grab the drivers for that.

Starchild1

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 05:05:08 pm »

Thanks for the information and the links.  I've decided that I will go back 19.128 (which is supposed to be the most stable build) and see if that improves the stuttering. 

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:08 am »

It's always worthwhile to make sure that you have good/current drivers for all of the mobo devices, make sure that there aren't unneeded apps/services running that will impact disk performance, and make sure that any in-line virus checker isn't doing on-access file checks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up