INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems using JRiver Convolver with Acourate filters  (Read 2656 times)

Markus87

Problems using JRiver Convolver with Acourate filters
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:28:58 am »

Hi everyone,

I've been using JRiver 19.0.128 full for video playback for a while now.

As I am using Acourate including the Acourate Convolver as an active XO (at 80Hz) and room correction on my win 7 32 bit HTPC, I want to enjoy these features for video playback, too.

My setup is as following: HTPC (digital XO through Acourate) - Fireface 400 - amp - stereo speakers (High L&R) with additional subwoofer
High L is connected to chanal 1 of my FF, High R to chanal 2; chanal 3 (Low L) und chanal 4 (Low R) are both upmixed to chanal 5 (to which my sub is conntected) using the matrix of my FF.

The Acourate filters are saved as mono-WAVs and assigned to the speakers as following:
Cor2L: correction of High L
Cor2R: correction of High R
Cor1L: correction of Low L
Cor1R: correction of Low R

OK so far - the music playback on Foobar + Acourate Convolver runs like it should with XO and correction...

But unfortunatelly I can't get JRiver to convolve the audio line and assign it to the correct speaker.

You'll find my Cor5.1_48.cfg attached:

Code: [Select]
48000 6 4 0
0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Acourate\Wohnzimmer\WAV\Cor2L48.wav
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Acourate\Wohnzimmer\WAV\Cor2R48.wav
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Acourate\Wohnzimmer\WAV\Cor1L48.wav
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Acourate\Wohnzimmer\WAV\Cor1R48.wav

I have selected the correct file for convolution.

Depending on what I select as an output device in JRiver, there's something different that's wrong:

if I select 4 chanal and no up- or downmixing, then there's only music and some background music on High L&R, no voices; my sub plays only deep frequencies as it should
    if I select chanal 4 and JRSS mixing, then High L&R play also voices but there is fullrange music and background noises on my sub (in this case the XO is not applied!)
    all the different variations of 5.1 configuration were also not successful

What's the problem with my configuration?
Which output device do I need to chose to get it work?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Best regards
Markus

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Problems using JRiver Convolver with Acourate filters
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:13:29 am »

It sounds like you have a biamped 2.1 system?  Is that correct?  I also run a bi-amped system; setup can be challenging, but the reward is worth it  ;D

You should probably not set JRiver's output format to 4-channel, you should instead set it to "2 channel in a 5.1 channel container" or 2.1 (depending on your mixing preferences) with JRSS mixing enabled .

There are three parameters in play: the source's number of channels, JRiver's mixing target, and the total number of logical channels in your output.

If you play back a 5.1 channel source in JRiver with without first downmixing it to stereo, you will (as you found) be missing information from the center channel (where the voices are).  If you tell JRiver to output in four channel mode and enable mixing, it will try to create two fronts and two surrounds (with no sub) which is why you were getting full range from your sub.

So you need to tell JRiver to downmix to stereo or 2.1, which is achieved by setting the output format to either "2 channel in a 5.1 container" with JRSS mixing enabled or 2.1 (also with JRSS).  Those settings will cause JRiver to mix the source file down to 2 or 3 channels, and then you can route those channels through your crossovers in convolution just like you would with stereo music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up