INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming Long Files on DLNA  (Read 2478 times)

keithsonic

• Recent member
Streaming Long Files on DLNA
« on: June 09, 2014, 06:51:58 am »

Hi
I have been trying for some time to stream music tracks in excess of 60 minutes without success. The manufacturer of my renderer (Chord) can't replicate the problem and MC plays these tracks on my PC without a problem. I am streaming over Powerline Ethernet at 96/24 WAV (no other settings play all files consistently).
I thought this was just long albums with a single track in excess of 60 minutes but just tried playing an album where first track is 65 minutes and second track is 10 minutes and MC/Gizmo just skips to the latter.
Any suggestions?
Keith

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming Long Files on DLNA
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:57:50 am »

Hi
I have been trying for some time to stream music tracks in excess of 60 minutes without success. The manufacturer of my renderer (Chord) can't replicate the problem and MC plays these tracks on my PC without a problem. I am streaming over Powerline Ethernet at 96/24 WAV (no other settings play all files consistently).
I thought this was just long albums with a single track in excess of 60 minutes but just tried playing an album where first track is 65 minutes and second track is 10 minutes and MC/Gizmo just skips to the latter.
Any suggestions?
Keith
File format?
Perhaps you are converting and running into the 2 gig wave file conversion limit?

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:55:08 am »

Thanks Bob this looks like the problem but what is the solution?
By setting the sample rate to 'same as source' rather than 96k then for a 60+ minutes track the file size obviously reduces and the track plays.
My only problem is that 24/96k files (with short tracks) then return a 'File Format Error' on the renderer.
These are all Flac files (standard and hires) on MC.
Keith

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:38:24 am »

Try streaming PCM instead. L16 should work and possibly L24 if you are lucky.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00:53 am »

I am streaming L24 PCM but it comes up as a WAV file on my Control Point. The only MC options I can see are L16/24 with/without header.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:34:56 am »

I am streaming L24 PCM but it comes up as a WAV file on my Control Point. The only MC options I can see are L16/24 with/without header.

Try "without header" ...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:44 am »

I get a 'File Format Error' with both L16 and L24 without header. This is playing a standard 16/44 AIFF file.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:34:48 am »

I get a 'File Format Error' with both L16 and L24 without header. This is playing a standard 16/44 AIFF file.
The L16 format 16/44 is REQUIRED to be supported by all devices conforming to the DLNA spec.

keithsonic

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 06:10:28 am »

I have finally twigged why my Hires files won't play with L16 or L24 'no header'. The files I tried to play are ISO rips converted to Flac in MC - when I look at the sample rate these are encoded at 352.8 khz which, obviously, my renderer won't play as straight LCPM. When I transcode everything to 96/24 then I have no problems (except inability to play long files due to WAV limit). I am not sure why I end up with such a high sample rate as this is not selectable and I can't see any way to convert files to a lower sample rate.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:37:20 am »

encoded at 352.8 khz which, obviously, my renderer won't play as straight LCPM

bob, I won't mention "SinkProtocolInfo" -- oops I just did it ;D

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:05:10 am »

bob, I won't mention "SinkProtocolInfo" -- oops I just did it ;D

Well isn't it nice that LPCM is the ONE format that will work that way?  ::)  ;D

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 01:18:37 pm »

I have finally twigged why my Hires files won't play with L16 or L24 'no header'. The files I tried to play are ISO rips converted to Flac in MC - when I look at the sample rate these are encoded at 352.8 khz which, obviously, my renderer won't play as straight LCPM. When I transcode everything to 96/24 then I have no problems (except inability to play long files due to WAV limit). I am not sure why I end up with such a high sample rate as this is not selectable and I can't see any way to convert files to a lower sample rate.

I assume your sample rate is high because it maintained the original sample rate from the iso. You should be able to change that during conversion to FLAC using the DSP.

If you select L16 as the output format for DLNA and choose a specific sample rate it should be fine as well.
I think we are going to change the DLNA "same as source" conversion to max out at 192k and 176k.
Pages: [1]   Go Up