INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dragyn's car  (Read 581 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
dragyn's car
« on: February 13, 2002, 11:45:18 am »

Just wondering whether the computer in the trunk is still working and what's new with the system?  

Post the link if you feel like it.

Thanks.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

dragyn

RE:dragyn's car
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 12:41:51 pm »

Hi Jim!

It's still the same basically. Water got in the trunk somehow and flooded out the bottom. Lost an 80GB HD from that disaster. That happened to be the only backup of my ape files that I had (~2200 files) cause I lost 2 other 80GB HD from inproper wiring that caused a spike in voltage frying them. So far I went through 240GB in this system. The original 40GB HD in the computer works just like the day I got it (2yrs). On that drive I have a few ape files and a lot of mp3s (vbr) due to space limitations at the moment.

I have WinXp installed since the last time you saw it. It boots up pretty fast. The cleartype supported in Xp really does make a difference in LCDs. I use Remote Desktop built into XP Pro to transfer songs and update the library through 100baseT. When I'm done doing that, I play songs from MJ on this machine using the car's files.

Currently I've been trying to fix noise interference in the screen (jumping). Pinpointed the problem to be the DVD player not liking the HD15 switch box. I originally thought it was the HD15 cable that went from the computer to the dash. I'm sure there is some but it's running fine now.

Having problems keeping the system up as the inverter dies periodically. Hasn't happened in awhile so I'm thinking it's due to cold weather or could just be the inverter. In the future, I plan to keep everything dc/dc but I need to make sure I don't fry another HD again.

MJ8 works really nice and a lot better than 7.2 with the replay gain/dsp features. All songs sound really good (same volume), bass response is excellent considering I don't have subs in the car (blew them out too...too much power).

I still plan on putting in 3 12" subs cause I have the box already built and then there's just minor stuff that needs to be done.

One of these days, it will be the way I want it. It just won't have 360GB of storage space though. I just have to stop blowing stuff up and everything should be good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up