INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Max volume limit lower than reference level...boost!?  (Read 1691 times)

Wungun

• World Citizen
Max volume limit lower than reference level...boost!?
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:51:18 pm »

I have my max volume set to 30%, and had my loudness reference set to 30%. For kicks, I set reference to 75% and got a LOT more "loudness".
Wondering if there is a bug wherein if reference volume is much higher than maximum volume there is a boost in loudness, over and above what it's s'pose to be...?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Max volume limit lower than reference level...boost!?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:39:11 pm »

That sounds like it is working as intended. The "loudness" feature is only to be used in a calibrated system where Media Center is the only thing used for volume control.
You cannot change the amplifier's volume or it invalidates the calibration.

You have to set things so that the speakers measure 83dB when using Media Center's built-in test signals. (Tools → Advanced Tools → Audio Calibration)
Whatever volume level Media Center is at when the system measures 83dB, is what you set as the reference volume.

Then as you adjust the volume control below that level in Media Center, the loudness curve is adjusted to compensate for the reduced volume.
In theory, this means that audio should sound the same at low levels as it does at high levels.

If you have volume set at 30%, and the reference level at 30%, there will be no compensation applied, as it should be playing back at 83dB.
If you change the reference level to 75%, with volume still set at 30%, you're now telling Media Center that the playback level is 60.5dB, so the relevant loudness curve adjustment will be made.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »

Thanks for the post...
I guess I need a dB meter.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:11:51 am »

Barring not having a dB meter, just how loud is 83dB?  I know it isn't an accurate approach,  but I'd like to have a baseline while I look for a dB meter.
Just noticed that I can download a dB meter app for my phone...
That should be a good start for calibration.
Which test tone should I use?
Volume calibration plays one channel at a time...if test tones, which frequency? Or should I play pink noise?  TIA

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:50:04 am »

Barring not having a dB meter, just how loud is 83dB?  I know it isn't an accurate approach,  but I'd like to have a baseline while I look for a dB meter.
Just noticed that I can download a dB meter app for my phone...
That should be a good start for calibration.
Which test tone should I use?
Volume calibration plays one channel at a time...if test tones, which frequency? Or should I play pink noise?  TIA

You should use the -20dBFS pink noise to calibrate, and each speaker should be calibrated separately to 83dB (not all of them together).  Phone dB meter apps are not usually very reliable outside of a certain frequency band, so take your readings with a grain of salt (i.e. I wouldn't use one to calibrate a sub), but a good one will give you a rough order of magnitude.

83dB at -20dBFS is very loud in most home settings (full peaks will be 103dB!).

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:15 pm »

If I set max volume limit to, say 50%, does this affect/change where my loudness volume setting is set at (in effect, does this 50% setting become the new 100% volume) or is this based off of the actual 100% volume.

Re: Max volume limit lower than reference level...boost!?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:14:24 pm »

The volume limiter shouldn't affect loudness at all. It just limits how loud you can set things.
Loudness is based on the reference level and the current volume relative to that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up