INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLIRC: Questions, discussion  (Read 4961 times)

baniels

• Junior Woodchuck
FLIRC: Questions, discussion
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:57:16 am »

My HTPC has eliminated a few devices, so the need for an expensive Harmony is really not present anymore. My 890 died a year ago and I don't see the need to replace it. I really only use the HTPC and occasionally Chromecast - which itself needs no remote.

I have been using a combination of the Gizmo app and a Logitech TK820. I find the theater view remote mode of Gizmo to be a little sluggish, particularly for long distance scrolling, so the keyboard gets the most use when I'm on the couch. Gizmo is great for cuing up songs while moving about the house.

I wanted to shelve the keyboard and only pull it out for the occasional non-theater view use. After searching this forum and others, I came across FLIRC. For those unaware, it is a small USB IR receiver. What makes this unique is the software. It allows you to assign any IR command from any remote you have, to any function you wish. This seemed like a good way to make use of the otherwise unused buttons on my Onkyo remote (RC-690). It has direction buttons, play/stop/pause, etc. It's an ok remote, and using it gives me full control over my receiver. My goal is for this to be the only remote I need. It has "learned" how to turn my tv on and off.

One of the remote modes to choose from is "Windows Media", with the button options below.

I can get the directional buttons, the enter button, and the backspace key (programmed from a different screen on the Flirc remote), but I am having trouble with a few others. The pause/play/stop/ffd/rwd/next/prev keys won't work for me.

If anyone else has been down this road, perhaps I am missing something. 2 possible explanations for what is happening:

1) The "Windows Media Controller" profile that FLIRC is using is not the same as whatever MC Remote profile JRiver uses. I noticed that when I pressed the play button in theater view, it jumped to movie in my list, as though I had pressed the first letter of the movie on a keyboard.
2) My Onkyo remote is the cuprit. I will hunt down my old TV remote next and see if I can get it to function with a pause/play button programmed through FLIRC.

Another thing I noticed: The TK820 keyboard has media shortcut keys - pause/play/next/etc. These always work fine. The FLIRC software also has an option to program a remote with compute Media Keys. I figured this would be another way to get to the pause/play/skip etc.

But this didn't work for me either, strengthening the idea that the remote is to blame. If anyone else has experience with FLIRC and JRiver, I'd love to hear your insights. What remote is working for you? What program mode did you use with FLIRC?

baniels

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: FLIRC: Questions, discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:46:00 pm »

I found a workaround to my problem. Instead of relying on the button selections from the Windows Media view of FLIRC, I looked up the JRiver Hot Keys
 and programmed them with the basic keyboard layout in FLIRC.

It doesn't allow for more than two-stroke key combinations, so things like Ctrl+Shift+R won't work, but none of the shortcuts I use required more than 2 keys in a combination.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 03:52:05 pm »

I found a workaround to my problem. Instead of relying on the button selections from the Windows Media view of FLIRC, I looked up the JRiver Hot Keys
 and programmed them with the basic keyboard layout in FLIRC....

Thanks for posting that.

Yesterday. my Inteset remote fell between the cushions of the big sofa in the sky, so I had to program a new one.

I had documented the programming process for everything except the FLIRC, and I couldn't remember how I had done it previously.

Your comment nudged my memory enough that I was able to re-program the FLIRC, and I also documented the process this time.   :D

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

baniels

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 07:07:57 pm »

Awesome! Glad my six year old post was helpful!!

And based on your post, I've ordered an Inteset remote. I'm quite tired of my Harmony One's sluggish performance. My setup isn't all that complex these days... perhaps something more simple will do the job.

Thanks for replying here instead of taking the info and running!

Thanks for posting that.

Yesterday. my Inteset remote fell between the cushions of the big sofa in the sky, so I had to program a new one.

I had documented the programming process for everything except the FLIRC, and I couldn't remember how I had done it previously.

Your comment nudged my memory enough that I was able to re-program the FLIRC, and I also documented the process this time.   :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up