INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail generation causes stuttering  (Read 1983 times)

panamac

• Recent member
Thumbnail generation causes stuttering
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:53:38 am »

Hi,

When importing a large number of videos into the library, while JRiver is going through the new files generating thumbnails, I experience stuttering in every other application I am using. For example, input becomes temporarily unresponsive, scrolling and animation stops in Firefox and most of the desktop, etc. Happens every few seconds for about a second at a time. Has anyone else experienced this? I have tried setting JRiver and child processes to have base scheduler priority 4 but this has made no difference.. I have never experienced this with another Windows program except badly misbehaving ones.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Thumbnail generation causes stuttering
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:05:03 am »

That isn't normal.  However, you can just tell MC to build all thumbnails (Options > Tree & View > Build missing thumbnails...) and they'll all be built.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

panamac

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:12:15 am »

Thanks Matt. This is what I have been doing, trying to schedule library updates for the evenings, but it has been bothering me more recently as I have found myself adding videos to my library quite often.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? I have no realtime antivirus or similar running, windows search indexing is completely disabled, the scheduler is set to prioritise realtime applications over background processes. It only occurs when the thumbnailer is running, not when performing audio analysis on videos, which also uses high CPU but doesn't cause any latency problems in the same way.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:30:23 pm »

What type of videos is it thumbnailing?

panamac

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:37:22 pm »

It seems to be any kind, in particular just now I have been importing mp4s from youtube or other sources, mkvs, mpeg2 TS streams, avi containing h264 or xvid.

I also just noticed something related but off topic - the thumbnailer is set to pick a thumbnail from 35 seconds into the video, but any video which is less than 35 seconds long doesn't have a thumbnail generated at all for it. JRiver still seems to take about 15 seconds to process such a small file though.

edit: would it be worth generating a log during the process?

panamac

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 03:51:59 pm »

I have an i5 750 with 8GB ram, so that shouldn't be a problem. In combination these problems are killing usability because scrolling through any video list with short clips <35 seconds results in JRiver repeatedly (ed: it seems to just try once every time you change the current view or file list) trying to generate the thumbnails which aren't there and it can't make, stalling the interface every time.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 08:01:08 pm »

thumbnails which aren't there and it can't make

What do you mean that it can't make the thumbnails?

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 08:38:49 pm »

What do you mean that it can't make the thumbnails?
I assume he's referring to the videos which are shorter than the specified thumbnail generation time. (35s)

panamac

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:27:13 am »

I assume he's referring to the videos which are shorter than the specified thumbnail generation time. (35s)

Yes sorry I wasn't clear, that is what I meant.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 02:45:27 pm »

I'm confused as to why it would stutter.  We start JRWorker.exe to build the thumbnail.  We run it with IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS.  That's supposed to make the threads lower priority than anything else.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 05:39:20 pm »

Antivirus or bandwidth?
Pages: [1]   Go Up