INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA server "lost" when hibernating  (Read 2462 times)

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA server "lost" when hibernating
« on: June 16, 2014, 04:44:53 am »

Dear all,

I am running MC 19 (always "most current" build) on a WHS 2011 (64 bit, current patch level). MC has two DLNA servers serving. Network is not subnetted. Additionally, I have a Whitebear DLNA server on the machine... The machine is always auto logged-on, as MC does not run as a service, but requires desktop interaction. MC is always set to "mini view". Everything is running smoothly, perfect, quick. With one exception:
The machine goes down for hibernate each night. After return from hibernation, the DLNA servers are not visible anymore. This was also the case for other UPnP services on that machine. Being aware that Windows is a little bit tricky, I decided to always automatically restart the UPnP relevant services upon return from hibernation. Namely: WSSUPnPDevice, upnphost and SSDPSRV. While this does the trick for Whitebear (and some others I've tested), MC's DLNA servers are still not visible. I have to access the machine, do one interaction with MC or even got to options - media network and click OK, then the servers are immediately visible again. This only applies to the DLNA part of MC, GIZMO and MC clients always see and find their MC master.

Any hints? How can I support you to support this?
I forced a hibernate, awake to reproduce the issue. See attached logfile (Turned on before hibernate, turned off after DLNA was visible again per above described actions)

Thanks

Marcus

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA server "lost" when hibernating
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:58 am »

I decided to always automatically restart the UPnP relevant services upon return from hibernation. Namely: WSSUPnPDevice, upnphost and SSDPSRV. While this does the trick for Whitebear

Concerning Whitebear: it does not depend in any way on those services (WSSUPnPDevice, upnphost, SSDPSRV) so they won't influence its sleep / resume behaviour. In fact Whitebear sends a full set of SSDP ByeBye messages on Windows suspend, and a full set of set SSDP Alive messages on Windows resume.

No doubt one of the JRiver guys can tell you if MC behaves in the same way by sending ByeByes on suspend and Alives on resume (??)

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:10:34 pm »

Sounds similar to an issue we have.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86047.msg588411#msg588411

Appreciate any suggestions.  It is the most frequent, annoying issue we experience

Steve

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 04:19:20 pm »

Sounds similar to an issue we have.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86047.msg588411#msg588411

Appreciate any suggestions.  It is the most frequent, annoying issue we experience

Steve

Actually, sounds the same issue. Very annoying as using DLNA via Android & Bubble UPnP to stream from central MC to diverse hardware throughout the house feels very comfortable to the rest of the family...

Such a great tool MC, but sometimes even the great stuff has some simple flaws...

Isn't the JRiver Id also working based on DLNA? So it should be suffering also if there is a server going to sleep / hibernate? Considered buying one, actually.

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:18:39 am »

All,

I have to further clarify that the DLNA servers not only get lost in the network after hibernate / sleep mode, but that they will simply disappear - for every client! - after some time of inactivity / no client accessing the DLNA server. This is completely independent of other access methods, i.e. using a remote MC or GIZMO will not alter that behaviour.

The only way to "wake the DLNA up" is to go into options / media network and click OK; or to restart the MC instance holding the DLNA servers. This is consistent behaviour on all three machines holding an MC here.

Marcus

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:13:40 pm »

Looks as if the sleep / hibernation issue has been addressed in 19.0.144

8. Changed: DLNA sends alive messages when it resumes from standby.

Will upgrade and test

herr_schneider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:52:43 am »

All,

installed and tested - looks good so far. Takes a while - up to 5 minutes - before every controller has discovered the servers, but that seems a client issue as some are very quick while others are a little bit lazy.

Thanks for the quick reaction  ;D

Marcus
Pages: [1]   Go Up