INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature suggest: loudness control instead of volume  (Read 1161 times)

kosmik

• Recent member
Feature suggest: loudness control instead of volume
« on: June 23, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »

My use case:
* JRiver running on HTPC playing to Dirac virtual sound card which in turn outputs via HDMI to receiver which does DAC and applification

In this setup as expected I use volume control on receiver.

Now the problem is loudness. I typically listen on lower volumes, so what I did it I set lower digital volume in JRiver and turned loudness ON.

To me it would be great if I had a loudness control in JRiver available in Theater view instead of volume control. So I can use volume control on receiver and adjust loudness in JRiver.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature suggest: loudness control instead of volume
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »

I don't think Loudness does what you think. It applies equal-loudness contours relative to an 83dB reference level when adjusting the volume in Media Center rather than externally.
The amplifier must be at a fixed level to stay at this 83dB reference.

The Volume Leveling DSP function will do its best to play back all audio at an equal volume once your tracks have been analyzed. (note: this levels everything around -23dB which will require you to turn the amplifier up)
This means you shouldn't have to reach for the volume control when playing an album that is particularly loud our quiet.

What I think you're actually looking for though, is dynamic range compression - which would be the Adaptive Volume DSP set to Night Mode or Small Speaker Mode.

kosmik

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:27:32 pm »

No, I don't want to compress dynamic range, I want to account for lower volume I'm listening at in a way similar to what my receiver is (unsuccessfully) trying to do with "Audyssey Dynamic EQ".

Volume leveling is a different thing, I've just turned it off after several months of using. Due to it, Dirac and few recordings like Pink Floyd "The Wall" I had to listen everything at -10db volume on receiver while other sources (movies, xbox) are at -25db.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:03:41 pm »

You would enable Volume Leveling and then playback will be at the same level.  After that, the volume slider _is_ a loudness slider.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up