INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort by genre artist error  (Read 1393 times)

RonB

• Recent member
Sort by genre artist error
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:10:56 pm »

I've ripped 60 albums including 24 jazz. Using a standard view of genre/artist, one of the 24 sorts first no matter what I enter in the artist tags. The artist name begins with "H" and it's cover displays ahead of the "A"s. Seems like a bug to me since I can't see anything strange in any of the tags. Any thoughts?

Gizmo displays the album in the correct spot. MC still doesn't.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sort by genre artist error
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:46:39 pm »

is it sorted by Artist or by Album Artist?

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 04:57:28 pm »

It's the default view, Album Artist. MC calls it Genres>Jazz Artists. My tags for this album have the same artist name in both Artist and Album Artist. After reading your note, I defined a Genre>Artist>Album view, which sorts correctly, since I've been consistently entering artist with last name first when ripping (except for classical, which I'll want to sort by composer).

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »

since I've been consistently entering artist with last name first when ripping (except for classical, which I'll want to sort by composer).

You know there is a Composer tag?

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:44:25 pm »

Yes. For classical I've been using composer the way I use artist for non-classical, last name first. I added a Work tag which I use only for classical. I'm still deciding how I'd like to display, and also need more time understanding exactly how views work. I may have to understand expressions to get what I want for classical.

I don't know enough yet, but am starting to think it would be nice if it was more straightforward to associate a view with an individual genre. Because tagging-standards for classical are a basket case, I'm finding it challenging to organize a large collection.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:53:48 pm »

I don't know enough yet, but am starting to think it would be nice if it was more straightforward to associate a view with an individual genre. Because tagging-standards for classical are a basket case, I'm finding it challenging to organize a large collection.

You can, in a View have a look at rules for file display.
You can use genre but anytime you have a new genre or edit one, you have to adapt the view.

I simply put all classical in a separate folder e.g. C:\sound\classical
The rule for file display is simple anything starting with  C:\sound\classical

Maybe this page of my website is of use: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/JRiver/Classical.htm
More about views: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
Expressions: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php?title=Media_Center_expression_language

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »

Thanks. That sounds like a good approach. I know it's also possible to program a filter that will do it. A third user has defined a classical view and removed the classical genre from all other views. Unfortunately, any of these approaches add at least a bit to the learning curve. I need to think about it some more, but it seems like a separate file for classical might avoid issues I'm not even aware of yet.

Totally off the subject, except for learning curves, while unsuccessfully trying to figure out why my Squeezebox has disappeared from a Windows 8 wireless network making it impossible to use it as a Gizmo player, I discovered that Windows 8 is the last release Logitech will provide support for. Maybe I need the new J River gadget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up