INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Levels  (Read 831 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
iPod Levels
« on: June 29, 2014, 05:47:26 am »

Hi

I use 2 pairs of headphones with my iPod when travelling , both of which are quite high impedance . Sennheiser PCX 450 and Bose QC15. Otherwise I use the iPod for feeding my car radio system.

I am seeing very large volume variation between albums on my iPod when sync'ed from my Library. So much so I can't get the music loud enough to listen properly on these phones

I have been experimenting with my Hi Fi playback using the DSP Studio where I can simply turn up the volume on the amp. I am wondering can these adjustments affect the iPod Level as well

I had a look around the forum and got some hints . I propose to try the list below.

Can any one confirm that this will work ...

I am converting to MP3 before loading to the iPod for space reasons
I assume if there is already an MP3 of the album it will not reconvert , hence whatever level its at is what I get, hence I plan to clear the conversion cache and re convert everything from scratch.

1  Clear the iPod
2  Clear the J River Conversion Cache
3  Set the DSP Studio to Volume levelling on
4  Set the DSP Studio to Adaptive Volume Control on - Peak Level Normalised
5  Sync the iPod

My logic is that the DSP output with Volume levelling and Adaptive Volume will give me more or less the same level for all albums, and Adaptive Volume will maximise that volume

So I get the highest signal possible for the iPod

The question ? Is my logic sound

If not is there any other way I can maximise the level on the iPod.

Thanks to all

Mike

Re: iPod Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:48:07 am »

Media Center is supposed to be writing iTunNORM tags to the files during conversion, which should work with SoundCheck.
I don't have an old iPod to test this with though, and for some unknown reason, there's no other way to get Media Center to write these tags.

If you are enabling DSP for this during conversion, it will actually change the files rather than performing the volume adjustment via DSP as SoundCheck would.

And you cannot combine Volume Leveling with Adaptive Volume during conversion.
Adaptive Volume in the peak level normalization mode will only work when Media Center knows the playlist.

You would have to enable Volume Leveling on its own if you're performing a conversion.
Adaptive Volume on its own would make the tracks as loud as possible, but would not keep the level even between tracks.

Unfortunately, with high impedance headphones and an iPod, if you were to just enable Volume Leveling on its own - which should produce a very even level of volume across tracks - it's almost certainly going to be too quiet; especially if you are already finding the volume too low.

I think you might have to look into buying a portable amplifier for your headphones.

MikeO

Re: iPod Levels
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:31:04 am »

Thanks for the reply -- I thought it was too good to be a runner ...

Just looked up SoundCheck , it seems to normalise track volumes by writing to the ID3 tag but only for MP3 (why not m4a ??)

Do you know does this mean I could convert a FLAC to MP3 as a copy in a separate folder and sync these to my iPod and achieve it that way. It would mean having iTunes installed as well but I do all the file manipulation on my main PC separate from my music PC so that's not really an issue.

I have been progressively getting mp3 and m4a rips out of my library and replacing with FLAC and its some of the FLACs that are low level and produce lower level mp3's

I have been using the PCX 450 for years with little problem its only as I replace MP3 that I am seeing the problem. Its limited to a very few albums so I can live with it . The PCX 450's have a small booster amp built in with a volume adjustment , the Bose do not.

Also these phones are for travelling etc , I use my HD800's for all serious listening at home.

Thanks Again for the help

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up