INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: possible to show drive name, not just letter?  (Read 1484 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
possible to show drive name, not just letter?
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:50:27 pm »

Hi,

i often browse my stuff by files (location).  Is there any way to show the location by drive name?  for example i have I: music1 and z: musictotag but they only show up as I: and Z:

i have a very large amount of external drives for storage and backup, so they change around somewhat frequently...i'd love to view the drive name rather than clicking each drive letter

thanks!  i'm sure this is either really easy, or impossible...either way i'm making it harder than it is.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: possible to show drive name, not just letter?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:50:04 am »

Drive names are not part of the navigable filesystem.  A trick you could employ is to name your first folder on the drive by the drive name:

I:\Music1\...
   Z:\musictotag\...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:33 am »

Drive names are not part of the navigable filesystem.

Hmm.

Do you really mean that MC does not support files on UNC drives i.e. those which have a drive name but no letter? (I never tried it myself). But if it is really true that MC does not support UNC drives, it would seem to be one of the last surviving dinosaur relics from the DOS era. Or ??

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

connersw

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:40:13 am »

Where are you browsing?  Standard View or Theater View?  

In Standard View, you can use Drives & Devices which will show you Drive Names.  

Another alternative for both Standard and Theater View is to Customize your View by adding an Expression similar to:

Code: [Select]
filefolder(\\DESKTOP\Users\Public\Music\, 3)
(ref: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language#FileFolder.28.E2.80.A6.29:_Returns_the_name_of_a_file.27s_parent)

above your File path Category.  This will then show you the Drive Name before you start drilling down into the actual File Path.  By using the File path Category next, it makes it much more navigable than using a further series of Expressions. 

See screenshot for an example. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:27 am »

Do you really mean that MC does not support files on UNC drives i.e. those which have a drive name but no letter? (I never tried it myself). But if it is really true that MC does not support UNC drives, it would seem to be one of the last surviving dinosaur relics from the DOS era. Or ??

He wants to show the filesystem label of a local drive with a letter, doesn't seem related to any UNC things.
UNC should work just fine.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »

thanks all

in the end i just added a blank folder with the drive name, it works perfect for my uses.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »

Do you really mean that MC does not support files on UNC drives i.e. those which have a drive name but no letter?

Drive name* != Share name

* I assume the OP actually means the Volume Name, and not the device hardware name.  Either way, this has nothing to do with UNC.

But, for the record, not only does MC support UNC drives for importing media quite well, you can use UNC paths anywhere MC takes a path, including all of the options widgets and the Library path itself.  In fact, if you're using media on a network share, unless you have very specific needs, it is almost always best to import them via UNC rather than a mounted network drive.  Then, you don't have to map the same drive letter on all client copies of MC to have direct, local access to the files (just a computer logged in with an account that can access the files via the same UNC path).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up