INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help Connecting my new Integra dhc 80.3 to JRiver server via DLNA  (Read 8011 times)

maverick11359

Hi , I'm a newbee to this forum and not very computer literate compared to you guys today..I'm a music and movie nut and  just purchased a Integra dhc 80.3 processor amp to catch up with new technology replacing my old beloved Sony Av analog multichannel amp.I listen to a lot of SACD's , DVD-audio's, CD's and Bluray movie/music and was told by my friends to get in the 21 centuray. LOL. and start listening to flac and wave files using my computer. I was told to try JRiver as it was the best media server program for microsoft windows 7. So today I downloaded JRiver  Media center 18 and started ripping some of my cds .

I then went to my new Integra amp and turned on Net . I tagged DLNA using my remote on my display using  my projector screen and it stated it was a Generic DLNA . After tagging it and selecting audio then  scrolling through Artists /Albums and choosing one,  i thought how everything was going smoothly.

I thought too soon ! I was surprised how long it took . 30 seconds later it brought up the album I chose and then took about another 30 seconds before it started to play the first song, which is all it played , it then took a long time to find the next song and then it stated "can't play audio track " or something similar to that effect top right hand side of my display projector screen . It did this throughout the whole album .  it would just go to the next song bring up its album cover and after about 20 seconds it would go through same procedure before moving on again and again ,not playing any music.

It seems to play the first song only and then no music no songs unless you reboot all the gear including the program again .

The songs I've been able to listen too are extremely accurate and possibly clearer with less distortion in the sound stage than the original cd versions, so i'm excited..... I installed the Lan line (Ethernet) from my computer router to my av room Integra processor using cat5e cable , I'm a retired Sparky, so the data cable connections are accurate .   What am I doing wrong ? I please need help !  

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: I need help Connecting my new Integra dhc 80.3 to JRiver server via DLNA
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:31 am »

Hi maverick11359,

I was just reviewing that box two nights ago...

Most likely, the problem is that audio conversion to to a different format is occurring.  You can adjust MC to send unconverted audio, which you probably want anyway.

Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers... >  Audio > Never convert (or set to Convert unsupported formats).

Restart MC, and re-navigate through your DLNA menus on the Integra.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

maverick11359

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:03:52 pm »

Thanks Mrc, I tried your suggestion and it sort of worked..It speeded up the navigation and started playing most of the original library which was converted over to JRiver media server from my windows media player. It didn't play the new cds that I ripped straight into JRiver  though. So I did a little more research and found my original files are WMA that are playing and the new ripped cds in JRiver are APE ,which my Integra want read (APE) .Is it possible to rip in another formate using JRiver? If so  how do I go about changing the File type as I rip them to say Flac or Wav because the Integra will read them and from what I understand WMA is compressed and not what I'm after . My personal hate is compressed audio, I've got used to a minimal amount of Compression playing CD's, but love my Hirez audio. Cheers mav'

MrC

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »

Configure your Rip settings in Tools > Options > Encoding > Encoding for: CD Ripping, and set the Encoder to FLAC Encoder.

You can convert formats using the Library Tools > Convert Format tool when right-clicking one or more media files.  Configure the encoder and options there, or in the same location as above, but select Encoding for: File Conversion.

Be sure you've set your File Location > Audio settings as you want too.

maverick11359

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »

G'day MrC, I really appreciate the fast reply's and the help your giving me. I feel i'm getting closer to a good start in this new audio medium. I changed my encoding to uncompressed wave using your directions and was very impressed comparing to the original CD, but i still have found one small problem . Between tracks on all the half dozen Cd's I've ripped in to my library using uncompressed wave I get a loud pop between every track . Nothing between the same WMA file albums when played back that were originally in the system  .. I'm going to go back to the FLAC decoding which to me wasn't quite up to WAVE on play back and see if the pops occur there ,I did try Flac at first on two albums . I really was very impressed with WAVE have people found a lot of difference between the two types of files Wave and Flac before.?  Cheers mav'

MrC

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:51:41 pm »

Glad you're making progress.

I can't give any response to why the pop occurs w/WAV files.  Perhaps someone from the JRiver team can comment.

Lossless should be lossless - some folks adhere to the WAV over <other lossless format here> philosophy.  In the end, choose what works for you.

maverick11359

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:47:02 pm »

Thanks MrC, Yes did some experimenting this morning . Found no pops or actually closer to static sound I found at low volume between tracks when using the Flac decoding, it plays fine . I've discovered I get similar sound static audio when trying to play DTS cds that I've ripped into my JRiver library playing through the Lan/net connection to my Integra .So want be playing them.

I really do prefer the playback of Uncompressed Wave in comparison to Flac , I hope some one can give me some ideas on how to illuminate this problem of audiable static between tracks using Wave. cheers Mav.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »

I now have this Integra - I'm liking it so far.

No issues playing FLAC's over DLNA so far.  I've been able to initiate playback from the unit itself and from MC.

I haven't tried any wav files (as I don't use them, but I'll grab a few and test at some point).

DeanBennett

• Recent member

MrC ,

If I may - I see you have an 80.3 using DLNA. I'm brand new to MC and DNLA. I have everything working great sending FLAC to the 80.3 but, I have no volume control in MC. I have been working that issue in another topic but I just got the "Call Integra" hand off. I was just wondering if you have any suggestions or have it working on your unit.

Again my goal is to get great sound out of the 80.3. The MC computer is a distance from the Pre/Pro so USB is not an option. I have a 1Gb wired Network to its location. I'm just looking for a solution and it can involve doing things different.

Maybe:
A network attached 'something' that plugs into the Integra. I have looked at the ID but I'm to ignorant to know if that would work at 24bit x 96K over HDMI of if the 80.3 will take that format over HDMI.
A software audio control in the MC audio path that MC can control volume
MC dealing with the idiosyncrasy of the 80.3
Help with me getting MC configured right?

At the end of the day I want to set at JRemote, do content selection and volume control.
PS - ORemote controls the 80.3 just fine.

Thanks!!!!

MrC

Hi Dean,

The volume control works here when pushing audio to the Integra, controlled by JRemote.  It is a little jumpy, and slightly slow to respond, but does work.

Pushing DNLA to the Integra works, but the usability is sub-optimal.  I send audio through my Squeezebox Touch to the Intergra as a better solution, and generally avoid DLNA.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

.. I just got the "Call Integra" hand off.!!

It's not a hand off. It is a recommendation. ( http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90058.msg618898#msg618898 )

I send audio through my Squeezebox Touch to the Intergra as a better solution, and generally avoid DLNA.

You asked about DLNA and so my recommendation concerning that stands. Or you could use MrC's alternate non DLNA approach. But please contact Integra anyway please.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

DeanBennett

• Recent member

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry if “Hand off” came off as derogatory. It was not intended that way. I’m now at almost 60 hours into something that should not be this hard.

As a CCIE and a 30-year+ code jockey, I’m all too familiar with certified standards that have little or no interoperability. But, as someone who also has 20+ year of continuous support cases open with manufactures, I also know the futility of little-ole-me even finding the right person at Integra to work with much less having any juice to convince them to change their stuff.

But, I’m more than willing to give a go at whizzing in their Wheaties but, I’m hearing from MrC that he can make MC-Volume work with his 80.3. And from AndrewFG that it is an Integra issue. It just does not yet feel like I’m on firm ground calling Integra. And, I’m more than willing to ditch DLNA for something that works.

I just want a solution that works and that JR will support. And, I’m willing to pay for that. I had my credit card in hand to get a “Squeezebox Touch” (ST) and go forward until I spent about an hour reading about it to make sure there were no incompatibilities with my gear and to get my head around what the interface between MC and ST is. It ‘feels’ like the ST replaces the need for MC all together? But, I may be confused.

I read on another thread about the JRiver ID where you could:
NAS => MC => Network => JR-ID => Integra (via HDMI)

That seams on the surface like a great solution unless there is something in the ID-to-Integra piece that precludes FLAC-24x96?

Thanks again…

MrC

What firmware version is installed on the 80.3?

Edit: I don't see any specific fixes in the firmware notes:

The 02/19/14 update addresses the following (all above listed models): AVAILABLE ONLY VIA USB
1. Corrects lock up failure when using Telstra T Box or MiCasaVerde Vera Lite controller on the same network
2. Addresses format changing of Rhapsody

The 09/11/13 update addresses the following (all above listed models): AVAILABLE ONLY VIA USB
3. Improves picture output of 4K up-scaling

The 6/13/13 update addresses the following: AVAILABLE VIA USB ONLY
1. Corrects problem that OSD menu does not appear when a particular player connected via HDMI was
standby mode.

The 7/5/2012 update addresses the following:
1. Improves the operation when HDMI Through is set to on
2. Stabilizes the operation of Network Control
3. Corrects the video output when the Picture Mode is set to Through

The 3/16/2012 update addresses the following:
1. Stabilizes video output when using HDMI/CAT5 Extender on HDMI OUT MAIN terminal
The 12/20/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Improves noise during playback of DTS-HD Master Audio with particular Blu-ray discs
2. Corrects operation of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 in Bi-Amp mode
3. Stabilizes audio output when Zone 2 (or 3) is turned on before the main power (DHC-80.3 only)

The 10/31/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Adds support of Integra Remote App for Android
2. Stabilizes video output when using HDMI/CAT5 Extenders on HDMI OUT SUB terminal
The 09/14/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Stabilizes continuous playback from USB memory/DLNA server

The 08/8/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Adds support of AUPEO! Personal Radio, Internet Music Service
2. Enhances the operability with Remote App for Android
3. Adds “Search” function for Spotify

The 07/14/2011 update addresses the following (all models):
1. Improves picture output of 1080p/24 sources
2. Reduces noise during audio playback from iPod/iPhone via USB port
3. Support of Spotify Internet Radio Service

The 06/14/2011 update addresses the following (all models):
1. Improves audio/video output in HDMI Through mode
2. Stabilizes setting of a static IP address in Network Settings
3. Improves UWF-1 connectivity.  Supports access points with non-alphanumeric SSID. (e.g. !, #, &, etc...)
4. Reduces noise during audio playback from iPod/iPhone via USB port

The 04/20/2011 update addresses the following (DTR-40.3):
1. Enhances video output
2. Improves update functionality
3. Supports hexadecimal WEP keys in manual setting of UWF-1

The latest update includes all prior updates.

MrC

DLAN + Intergra 80.3 == No Gapless.

DeanBennett

• Recent member

DLAN + Intergra 80.3 == No Gapless.
Again - I'm a babe-in-the-woods with this and I'm not stuck on DLNA. I'll pay for a better option.

I have version: 1081-0700-0210-5103
It did not even dawn on me that the online update was not the latest - Sorry.
I see a version: 1081-0800-0210-6104

I'll put that in and see if things change and update.
Thanks...

DeanBennett

• Recent member

Firmware updated.
No change
JRemote still has a slider but makes no changes
MC has only up/down volume options that don't function
After setting SetLoudness on the 80.3 to true, the MC Volume slider now works as in JRemote, it moves and display but does not function (see screen shot).
Still no Get/SetVolume Methods on the 80.3.

I 'assume' for your Integra to work, you have those methods? If so, what firmware version are you using?
ORemote still works good.

I could put a network sniffer on the wire and see what ORemote is doing that MC/JRemote is not?

Thanks....

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

Firmware updated.
No change
JRemote still has a slider but makes no changes
MC has only up/down volume options that don't function
After setting SetLoudness on the 80.3 to true, the MC Volume slider now works as in JRemote, it moves and display but does not function (see screen shot).
Still no Get/SetVolume Methods on the 80.3.

I 'assume' for your Integra to work, you have those methods? If so, what firmware version are you using?
ORemote still works good.

I could put a network sniffer on the wire and see what ORemote is doing that MC/JRemote is not?

Thanks....

I think MrC is connecting MC to the Integra either 1) via USB, or 2) via UPnP to a third party UPnP renderer (which then connects to the Integra via USB). In case 1) MC itself applies the volume control function by level shifting in the digital domain. And in case 2) the third party UPnP renderer does support GetVolume / SetVolume so that when MC calls those methods they are processed (by the third party box) as you would expect.

In your case, you are connecting MC to the Integra via another method 3) namely via UPnP to the Integra. We have already ascertained that the Integra UPnP renderer does not support GetVolume / SetVolume, so when MC tries to send those commands to it, they end up disappearing in the ether. (And surprisingly this does not seem to crash either MC or the Integra, so at least you are lucky on this).

IMHO if you absolutely insist on getting method 3) to work, then you are going to have to convince Integra to implement those GetVolume / SetVolume methods. Although as you say the chances are slim.

I certainly would not expect JRiver to adapt MC to support GetLoudness / SetLoudness, since in the context of MC those methods are just plain wrong.

Edit: nevertheless, it would certainly be interesting to see what ORemote is sending to the Integra :)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

MrC

The PC is not hooked up to the Integra DTR 80.3 via USB.  It is simply connected to the home network via Ethernet.  The only connections I'm using are HDMI.  The DLNA renderer used for the volume test I did yesterday was the Integra, and of course MC was the server and JRemote the controller.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

The PC is not hooked up to the Integra DTR 80.3 via USB.  It is simply connected to the home network via Ethernet.  The only connections I'm using are HDMI.  The DLNA renderer used for the volume test I did yesterday was the Integra, and of course MC was the server and JRemote the controller.

Ok. So I am wondering why DeanBennet's Integra seems not to declare GetVolume & SetVolume in DeviceSpy, whereas your Integra does appear to declare those actions ??

MrC

This device supports {Set,Get}Volume.  See attached:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Firmware?
Pages: [1]   Go Up