INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: merging parts of libraries; moving files and preserving directory structure  (Read 1081 times)

noborg

Hi,

I've been using MJ for about a month and am considering commiting all my music to it.  I don't know how to do two things that seem important for long term maintenance:

1. How can I (easily) merge a part of one library (e.g., an artist or album) into another?  I know how to merge entire libraries, but not parts.  

2. How can I move a set of disk files while preserving the directory structure (i.e., using a different root).  I have found "expert" instructions for moving entire libraries to another disk as long as only the disk letter changes (e.g., "C: -> D:"), but this procedure doesn't work, for example, if you want to do something like "C:\music -> D:\lib\music".   Of course you can do this by moving individual groups of files that have the same full starting and ending paths, but that's too laborious for maintaining large libraries.

Thanks for your help!

js

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:merging parts of libraries; moving files and
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 08:45:52 am »

If it were mine, I'd just move the files and import them again.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

noborg

RE:merging parts of libraries; moving files and preserving
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 11:11:39 am »

If I move and then re-import, don't I lose categories, etc.?  

js

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
Re:Moving Files, Retaining Directory Structure and Merging Libraries
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 01:36:32 am »

Select some files whose directory structure you would like change and, through the properties dialogue, choose tools>rename files from file properties.
Fill in the rules and, if you specify rules which would cause changes the path/directory of the files then MJ will move those files creating the directory structure that you require.  This assumes that there is sufficient info in the file tags (or MJ's DB) for you to work with.

This is pretty strong medicine so "Test on a small area first".
Unfortunately, empty directories get left behind but the rest works a treat, across a LAN or wherever.

Reimporting is dud if you have categories, playlists, ratings etc, cos there's often too much investment of time in creating them to simply toss baby out with bathwater.

I've never done it, but i don't see why you couldn't make a new library by cloning an existing one, deleting a whole bunch of stuff from that cloned library til you're left with only what you want and then merge that (now partial) library into other places?

Harry The Hipster

RE:merging parts of libraries; moving files and preserving directory
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 02:26:40 am »

Cloning will work, as you suggest. Lise and I discussed this in another thread a while ago. It can be a pain in the butt if you're working with large libraries.

Wld be nice if MJ permitted the wholesale transfer of existing data from one library to another. Someone also discussed using filters to get to the same place, but I haven't tried that
HTH

noborg

RE:merging parts of libraries; moving files and preserving directory
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2002, 11:20:08 am »

Thank you all for the input.  
js
Pages: [1]   Go Up